Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Wednesday.
1. The US withdrew from the UN Human Rights Council. US Ambassador Nikki Haley called the organisation “hypocritical and self serving,” and said it was biased against Israel.
2. US President Donald Trump said he backs two immigration bills being considered by Congress. The Trump administration’s “zero tolerance” policy, which has seen over 2,000 children separated from their parents, has faced widespread scrutiny.
3. Brexit will pose a ‘significant risk’ to the personal finances of 36 million people in Europe, says a new report.There is currently no agreement between negotiators regarding Britain’s post-Brexit financial relationship with the EU.
4. Canada legalised recreational cannabis. Canadians will be able to legally buy cannabis from September.
5. Chinese hackers infected computers that control satellites in the US and Asia. Security experts said the hackers were driven by national espionage goals, which include intercepting military and civilian communications.
6. North Korea may be preparing to hand over the remains of US troops from the Korean War within days.US officials said “a sizable number” of remains were expected to be handed over.
7. South Korean cryptocurrency exchange Bithumb was hacked for the second time in a year. Bithumb, one of the largest bitcoin exchanges in the world, said $US31.5 million in virtual coins were stolen.
8. Apple CEO Tim Cook slammed Trump’s “inhumane” border policy. Cook joins Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg and Uber in trying to help children that have been separated from their families.
9. The Philippines’ Supreme Court heard arguments in favour of same-sex marriage. President Rodrigo Duterte has said he is in favour of same-sex marriage, but still opposes legalizing divorce.
10. Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey reportedly shared at least 17 tweets from a Russian troll. The account Dorsey retweeted from was related to the Kremlin-linked Internet Research Agency.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.