Hello! Here’s what you need to know on Thursday.
1. Uber got $3.5 billion from Saudi Arabia. The ride-hailing service announced on Wednesday that it has received a cash infusion from Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund.
2. Mary Meeker released her stunning annual presentation on the state of the web. Big themes this year include how search is changing, the impact of messaging apps, and the future of transportation.
3. Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes has a net worth of zero dollars, according to Forbes, down from an earlier estimation of $4.5 billion.
4. Two male adults are dead after an apparent murder-suicide on the University of California, Los Angeles campus. The victims were found in an office inside UCLA’s Engineering IV building, where the shooting took place.
5. US President Barack Obama spent roughly an hour Wednesday tearing apart presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump’s proposals one-by-one. Obama homed in on Trump’s economic plans and domestic policies without mentioning the mogul by name.
6. We just got the clearest sign yet that Iran’s military mastermind Qasem Soleimani is calling the shots in Iraq. New photos appear to show Soleimani liaising with Iraqi authorities.
7. Wall Street is bracing for a software M&A frenzy after Salesforce’s $2.8 billion Demandware deal. The deal opens up Salesforce to the massive e-commerce market.
8. The world’s longest railway tunnel is finally open, running under the Swiss Alps to improve European trade and travel.
9. Tesla CEO Elon Musk thinks that Apple will eventually be a direct competitor when it comes to cars, but that they started too late.
10. One of the rarest watches of all time sold for a whopping $2.5 million. The stunning Patek Philippe watch, reference No. 2499, was sold at an auction in Hong Kong.
And finally …
NOW WATCH: Money & Markets videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.