Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Friday.
1. US President Donald Trump is waiting on a letter from Kim Jong Un. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has met with a senior North Korean official who will deliver the letter on Friday.
2. Europe, Mexico, and Canada have retaliated against the US. The three countries imposed “equivalent measures” after the Trump administration announced the countries will soon face tariffs on steel and aluminum.
3. UK Brexit Secretary David Davis is creating a Brexit plan to give Northern Ireland joint UK and EU status. The plan would also create a buffer zone to eliminate the need for border checkpoints with Ireland.
4. Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian meddling has spent around $17 million. Trump has frequently railed against the investigation and scrutinized its cost.
5. Italy finally agreed on a government, ending months of political deadlock. Giuseppe Conte has been appointed prime minister and, along with his cabinet, will be sworn in on Friday.
6. Chinese company ZTE was allegedly created to spy on other countries. Fairfax Media found case files in which a competitor alleges ZTE was founded by China’s Ministry of Aerospace in order to spy on targets overseas.
7. Malaysia’s government raised $1.7 million in the first day of a crowdfunding campaign. The money will help pay a national debt of $251 billion racked up under ousted prime minister Najib Razak.
8. Vogue Arabia was called out for its ill-timed issue on “trailblazing” Saudi women. The magazine made no mention of the dozen women’s rights activists arrested last week.
9. Police said at least 15 people were killed and 200 injured in protests against Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega. More than 80 people have been killed since protests began more than a month ago.
10. A Southwest passenger forced a plane to land after smoking in the bathroom. Flight 1250 was traveling from San Francisco to Los Angeles but diverted to San Jose Mineta International Airport after a passenger allegedly smoked in the lavatory.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.