Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Wednesday.
1. All 13 members of the Thai soccer team were safely rescued from a cave after a 17-day ordeal. Doctors said the boys were in “good condition” and remain on bed rest, and some are finally able to see their parents.
2. The Trump administration escalated its trade war with China.The US is planning tariffs on more than 6,000 Chinese products worth $US200 billion.
3.Two more UK MPs resigned over Prime Minister Theresa May’s Brexit plans. On Friday, the Cabinet agreed to a soft Brexit prompting several high-profile resignations.
4. EU President Donald Tusk told US President Donald Trump to “appreciate” his few remaining allies. Tusk’s comments follow repeated criticism of NATO by Trump.
5. Trump said he can’t reveal if Vladimir Putin is friend or foe. He added that his upcoming meeting with the Russian president will be the easiest part of his tour through Europe.
6. Immigrant families were told to pay for DNA tests the US government is demanding they take to reunite with their children. Parents are being asked to pay hundreds of dollars for DNA tests as well as return flights for their children who were moved to shelters around the country.
7. The UK’s privacy watchdog fined Facebook £500,000 over the Cambridge Analytica scandal. The regulator says Facebook broke the law, breaching the UK Data Protection Act twice.
8. Japanese authorities warned of new landslides that could be triggered by more thunderstorms. At least 176 people died from landslides triggered by heavy rains last week.
9. Questions have arisen on Facebook’s decision to give a Russian internet company temporary special access to its user data.Facebook recently disclosed to the US Congress that a Kremlin-linked company built apps that integrated with its platform.
10. Elon Musk explained why he built a mini-submarine to help save the trapped Thai soccer team. Musk previously shared video of his aluminium sub being tested in a swimming pool in California.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.