Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Wednesday.
1. Bitcoin shed as much as 25% in a 24-hour period. Other major cryptocurrencies, Ethereum, Ripple’s XRP, and Litecoin, saw major sell-offs as well.
2. 20 nations urged Russia and China to fully implement sanctions on North Korea. Diplomats met in Canada to discuss pressuring North Korea into abandoning its nuclear ambitions.
3. US President Donald Trump said he wants more immigrants from “everywhere.”Trump faced major backlash last week after he reportedly asked why the US takes refugees from “shithole countries.”
4. UK Prime Minister Theresa May’s party told lawmakers to back its Brexit bill or risk “chaos.” The EU Withdrawal Bill is set to be voted on in parliament’s lower house on Wednesday evening.
5. An ex-CIA officer was arrested on suspicion of being a Chinese spy. The ex-officer is suspected of passing over top-secret information which led to the disappearance and deaths of CIA informants in China.
6. The US increased nuclear bomber deployments to Guam. The move comes as part of a mission to keep bombers in Guam constantly.
7. A cyberattack on cryptocurrency investors reportedly came from North Korea. North Korea has been accused of masterminding cyberattacks in the past.
8. The nanny of a former Uber engineer claims her boss stole trade secrets from Tesla.The engineer allegedly paid someone inside Tesla to leak him information about its battery-powered semi-truck.
9. The US warned investors that Venezuela’s cryptocurrency violates sanctions.Venezuela announced its plans for the oil-backed “petro” cryptocurrency last month as a way to overcome US-led sanctions.
10. Video captured a volcano in the Philippines erupting in a dazzling display. Philippine authorities have continued warnings of eruptions in the coming days.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.