Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Monday.
1. US President Donald Trump said the Nunes memo “totally vindicates” him from the Russia investigation. The memo, which Trump authorised to be released, claims officials acted improperly when signing off on surveillance of a former Trump campaign adviser. Democrats have called its release “reckless.”
2. Conservative UK lawmakers want to create a “dream team” to overthrow Prime Minister Theresa May. MPs want “three Brexiteers”, including Boris Johnson, to run the country if May fails to back a hard Brexit.
3. Nearly 5,000 people were arrested during Iran’s month of protests. The protests began over the cost of living in December and women are now protesting the country’s mandatory hijab law.
4. At least two people dead, 100 injured after a train collision in South Carolina. It is the fifth crash involving an Amtrak train in a matter of weeks.
5. China accused the US of a “Cold War mentality”.China’s comments come after the US published a document on Friday outlining plans to expand its nuclear capabilities in an effort to deter other countries.
6. North Korea is sending one of its highest ranking officials to the South ahead of the Olympics. Kim Yong-nam, the ceremonial head of state, will lead a delegation to the South on Friday.
7. Uber and Google-owned Waymo go to court on Monday.Google is seeking damages from Uber for stealing “trade secrets” relating to self-driving technology, as well as a permanent injunction blocking Uber from using the technology.
8. Ecuadoreans have voted to reinstate a two term limit on presidents. The limit was eliminated by the country’s previous president Rafael Correa in 2015.
9. Employees at Apple’s new headquarters are posting stunning pictures of the building. The $US5 billion Apple Park will eventually hold 12,000 employees.
10. Elon Musk plans to rename his flamethrowers to avoid customs issues with shipping. Musk announced he is considering rebranding the “Flamethrower” as “Not a Flamethrower” to circumvent customs issues.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.