Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Tuesday.
1. North Korea said it is “fully ready for both dialogue and war.” The op-ed by state-run news agency KCNA appeared to be a response to the Secretary of State Rex Tillerson saying the US will maintain “maximum pressure” on Pyongyang.
2. US President Donald Trump indicated he is open to some gun control reform. The White House said Trump is supportive of efforts to improve criminal background checks on gun buyers.
3. Christchurch in New Zealand declared a state of emergency and grounded planes as ex-cyclone Gita hits. Cyclone Gita, a category 4 cyclone, hit Tonga last week and flattened the country’s parliament.
4. UK Prime Minister Theresa May wants to slash university tuition fees. But critics warn a proposed year-long review will be a waste of money and changes could damage the education sector.
5. South Korea and the US are progressing talks for another military drill. North Korea has warned it won’t remain inactive if drills recommence.
6. South Korea is also preparing a lavish ceremony for Ivanka Trump ahead of the Olympic Closing Ceremony. The US president’s daughter-in-law will be treated to a reception usually reserved for a first lady or head of state in an effort to influence President Trump.
7. Syrian government forces killed at least 77 civilians outside Damascus. The Monday bombing was the worst in years and targeted civilian services including bakeries, warehouses and anything holding food supplies.
8. Haiti is investigating all charities operating in the country. The review comes in the wake of several reports of sexual misconduct by Oxfam staff.
9. Elon Musk’s Boring Company has a preliminary permit for a hyperloop from New York to Washington DC. The permit allows a preliminary excavation to occur in DC, and is the first step towards a 29-minute commute.
10. A drone crashed trying to film Apple’s spaceship campus. The operator was trying to film inside Apple Park when the drone failed just as it was about to breach the ring of the campus.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.