Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Thursday.
1. US President Donald Trump recognised the capital of Israel as Jerusalem. The UN Security Council will meet to discuss the issue Friday, and world leaders have warned the announcement may harm any possibility of a two-state solution in the region.
2. UK Prime Minister Theresa May said she will confront Donald Trump over his Jerusalem decision. May also stated that moving the US embassy in Israel to Jerusalem is “unhelpful” for peace.
3. Bitcoin briefly reached a record high of $US14,000.The cryptocurrency had gained more than $US2,000 in 24 hours.
4. Britain will guarantee rights for as-yet unborn children of EU parents after Brexit. According to a leaked Brexit draft, British citizens living in the EU after Brexit will also be able to travel freely in Europe.
6. A massive wildfire in Los Angeles forced 27,000 people to flee their homes. Ferocious winds in Southern California whipped up the fire which has burned through 48 square miles so far.
7. Russian President Vladimir Putin said he will seek re-election in 2018. Putin has held onto power in Russia for 17 years.
8. The man who hacked into Uber’s servers was a 20-year-old from Florida. Uber paid him $US100,000 to destroy the information he stole on 57 million Uber users.
9. A US federal appeals court heard arguments against Trump’s third travel ban. The Supreme Court ruled to allow the ban’s enforcement on Monday pending two federal appeals.
10. A class-action lawsuit accusing Google of paying women less than men was dismissed. The decision came as Google faces an investigation by the US Department of Labour into sex bias in its pay practices.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.