Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Monday.
1. MI6 reclassified Russia as a “tier one” threat, alongside Islamic terrorism.The head of the UK’s secret intelligence service said the response to Russian interference in the West must be sharper.
2. US President Donald Trump accused former FBI Director James Comey of lying under oath. Comey testified in June that Trump asked him to drop the FBI’s investigation into Russia’s ties to former national security adviser Michael Flynn.
3. North Korea warned a “reckless” US-South Korea military drill could spark nuclear war.The two allies are set to begin their largest ever co-operative air exercise on Monday.
4. Half of Britons want a second vote on Brexit. A recent poll found 50 per cent of people supported another vote on the final terms of Britain’s exit deal.
5. Yemen’s Houthi group said it fired a missile towards an Abu Dhabi nuclear power plant. However there were no reports of any missiles reaching the UAE.
6. Jordan may convene an emergency meeting of Arab leaders ahead of Donald Trump’s decision on Jerusalem.Trump is expected to declare Jerusalem as Israel’s capital on Wednesday, which may inflame tensions in the Middle East.
7. Venezuela will launch a cryptocurrency to deal with the country’s inflation. Backed by oil reserves, the “petro” would help Venezuela “overcome the financial blockades” imposed by new US sanctions.
8. Thousands protested in Honduras over the government’s reaction to presidential election results. Protesters claim the president meddled with results and opposition leaders said the government was trying to “steal the election.”
9. President Xi Jinping spoke of “cyberspace sovereignty” in a message to the World Internet Conference. Beijing has long believed in a country’s right to censor online content.
10. A former NSA employee pleaded guilty to taking classified documents. The documents are believed to have been stolen from his home computer by Russian hackers.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.