Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Tuesday.
1. An Amtrak train derailed in Washington state, killing three and injuring dozens more. Part of the train fell off an overpass and onto a highway below, but the cause is not yet known.
2. US President Donald Trump gave a major speech on national security. Trump used much of the time to talk about the economy, including trade policy and slashing domestic regulations.
3.UK Prime Minister Theresa May promised to negotiate a ‘rapid’ Brexit transition deal. May seeks a two-year transition deal, on the same trade and customs terms as the UK currently enjoys.
4.The US will announce it believes North Korea was behind WannaCry on Tuesday. The government has a “very high level of confidence” this year’s malware attack was perpetrated by the same group as the 2014 Sony hack.
5. Twitter started enforcing new abuse policies Monday.Controversially, the new policies do not apply to government and military entities.
6. South Africa’s ruling party has chosen a successor forPresident Jacob Zuma as party leader. Cyril Ramaphosa beat Dlamini-Zuma by 2,440 votes to 2,261, and will go to the polls in 2019 to try to become president.
7. The man arrested over a British diplomat’s murder in Lebanon was an Uber driver.The ride-hailing company told Business Insider that it is assisting authorities
8. Trump believes he will be publicly exonerated from the Russia investigation shortly. But analysts believe the investigation has shown no signs of wrapping up and the focus on Trump is ramping up.
9. Falling instant-noodle sales points to the economic rise of rural China. Fewer workers are moving to cities as wages in rural regions continue to rise.
10. A US health department issued warnings about mobile-phone radiation. However, the science is far from settled.
And finally …
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.