Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Tuesday.
1. Three people were injured by an explosive device in a New York subway station. The explosion occurred prematurely on Monday morning, and officials have said the man was influenced by ISIS propaganda.
2. The bomber was possibly motivated by Israeli action in Gaza. Israel has recently launched airstrikes into Gaza, angering many who have protested in response.
3. The Pentagon will defy Trump and allow transgender troops in the military. In July, Trump announced he would reverse Obama’s policy of accepting transgender troops.
4. Russia’s military chief said North Korea is ready for direct talks with the US. He also warned the US and South Korea to stop provoking North Korea with military drills.
5. Some people have taken out mortgages to buy Bitcoin. The cryptocurrency has soared in recent days and regular people are finding ways to invest.
7.A no-deal Brexit could reportedly cost the UK economy $US140 billion. A Brexit deal was reached last week but the EU council need to formally agree on the terms.
8. China is planning to build five camps for North Korean refugees. The plan could mark a shift in policy for China, as it previously sent defectors back to North Korea.
9.The Palestinian President met with his Egyptian counterpart to discuss Jerusalem. Egypt has been a key broker in past peace talks with Israel and between fighting Palestinian factions.
10. A former Facebook executive said he feels ‘tremendous guilt’ for helping create the world’s largest social media site. Chamath Palihapitiya said social networks were “destroying how society works.”
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.