Hello! Here’s what you need to know on Wednesday.
1. US Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump said that he was “not quite” ready to endorse House Speaker Paul Ryan, an unprecedented move that highlighted the extreme disunity in the Republican Party.
2. Maryland police fatally shot an armed black woman who espoused anti-government views and threatened to kill officers. Korryn Gaines’ death reignited concerns about police use of force against African-Americans.
3. The father of a slain Muslim-American soldier who has recently engaged in a back and forth with Donald Trump slammed the Republican nominee for accepting a Purple Heart from a veteran. “You should have pinned that back to that veteran’s chest, and should have hugged him and thanked him,” Khizr Khan said.
4. Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega picked his wife to run as his vice presidential candidate. He has previously described the “joint government” as a symbol of equality between the sexes.
5. A possible Lyft-Uber merger made Didi Chuxing finally agree to make a deal with the ride-hailing giant, according to the Wall Street Journal.
6. The US is underestimating the one thing that could destroy its relationship with Turkey. Turkey’s leadership genuinely believes that the US is complicit in last month’s coup attempt.
7. A sweeping crackdown has put a Chinese human-rights activist in jail. In a rare arrangement, China’s government allowed a few media outlets from outside the mainland to cover the hearing of Zhai Yanmin.
8. North Korea has fired another ballistic missile into the sea, according to South Korea’s military. North Korea routinely conducts missile and other weapons tests.
9. Stock investors should be excited by the Olympics. Stocks tend to rally both during and after the Olympics, especially in the US, according to new research.
10. Mercedes-Benz is winning the luxury market with an unusual strategy, selling a ton of cars in a market that craves crossovers and SUVs.
And finally …
NOW WATCH: MALCOLM GLADWELL: ‘Anyone who gives a single dollar to Princeton has completely lost their mind’