Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Wednesday.
1. US President Donald Trump slammed Google for “taking advantage of a lot of people.“ Trump on Tuesday accused Google of rigging search results against him, which Google rejected.
2. UK Prime Minister Theresa May insisted that a no-deal Brexit won’t be “the end of the world.” Chancellor Philip Hammond warned last week that the Treasury could be forced to borrow £80 billion ($US103 billion) extra over 15 years as a result of Britain leaving the EU without a deal.
3. President Trump brought up Pearl Harbour in a “tense” meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. Trump has imposed steel and aluminium tariffs on Japan, but Abe hasn’t retaliated for now.
4. The US military said it does not plan to suspend any more military exercises on the Korean peninsula. Reports indicate that North Korea is growing increasingly hostile towards the US.
5. The estimated death toll in Puerto Rico from Hurricane Maria was corrected – from 64 to 2,975. The impact is nearly 5,000 per cent worse than originally estimated.
6. Conservative Facebook employees are organising to attack the liberal company’s “intolerant” culture. Facebook has grappled with dissenting conservative employees before, and banned an anonymous group used by them in 2016.
7. Saudi Arabia is allowing medical students to stay in Canada after calling on its overseas students there to return home. Saudi Arabia and Canada are engaged in a massive diplomatic dispute over Saudi Arabia’s human rights record.
8. Brazil sent its army to the border of Venezuela as thousands of flee from crisis. Earlier this month, encampments set up by Venezuelans were attacked by Brazilians.
9. A strong 7.1 magnitude earthquake struck in the South Pacific near New Caledonia. Noumea, the capital of New Caledonia, is located about 1,400 kilometers (914 miles) from the coastal Australian city of Brisbane.
10. The Kremlin released photos of Putin’s summer vacation to Siberia, and he has his shirt on this time. Putin has previously said “When I am on vacation I see no need to hide behind the bushes.”
And finally …
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.