Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Monday.
1. US President Donald Trump refused to praise Senator John McCain following his death. Trump and McCain have feuded for years, and the president was reportedly not invited to his funeral.
2. Ireland’s foreign minister says no-deal Brexit is “very, very unlikely.“ But he added that Ireland will not back down on the key Brexit issue of the Irish border.
3. Three people are dead, including the gunman, after a mass shooting at a video game tournament in Florida. The gunman was identified as 24-year-old gamer David Katz – here’s what we know about him.
4. North Korea’s state newspaper claims the US is secretly plotting to “unleash a war” on Pyongyang. President Trump recently canceled a planned trip to North Korea by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
5. China suspended a popular ride share service by massive firm Didi Chuxing following the murder of a passenger.Didi is the world’s largest ride-hailing firm by number of rides and continues to expand globally.
6. A massive earthquake in Iran killed at least two and injured hundreds. A powerful earthquake in the same area killed more than 600 people in November.
7. The Pope is refusing to comment on bombshell allegations of sexual abuse cover ups. A former top Vatican official accused the Pope of knowing about the abuse allegations for years and has called on him to resign.
8. Elon Musk announced that he no longer wants to make Tesla a private company. Instead, he said that investors persuaded him that Tesla is better as a public company.
9. The death toll from floods in the Indian state of Kerala has risen to 445.Heavy flooding left residents stranded on rooftops and displaced nearly a million people – see photos of the destruction here.
10. Data from several US states shows thousands of Amazon employees are on food stamps. Nearly 1 in 3 Amazon employees in Arizona and 1 in 10 in Ohio were on food stamps or lived with someone who was in 2017.
And finally …
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.