Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Tuesday.
1. US President Donald Trump says there’s “no timeframe” for the end to the US-China trade war. The second set of Trump’s tariffs – this time on $US16 billion worth of Chinese imports to the US – are set to go live on Friday.
2. UK Prime Minister Theresa May will let all EU citizens stay in the UK if there is no Brexit deal. The government is concerned that failing to make such an offer would cause labour shortages.
3.Malcolm Turnbull is still the Prime Minister of Australia after a leadership spill. Turnbull narrowly won a leadership ballot against Home Affairs minister Peter Dutton.
4. Taiwan lost the support of another ally to Beijing.Taiwan vowed on Tuesday to fight China’s “increasingly out of control” influence as it lost diplomatic ties with El Salvador.
5. Some auto industry suppliers are worried about Tesla going bankrupt. Eighteen of 22 respondents surveyed reportedly said that they now believe that Tesla is a financial risk to their companies.
6. Microsoft uncovered new Russian hacking attempts targeting Republicans ahead of midterm elections. The hacking attempts mirror similar Russian attacks ahead of the 2016 election.
7. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un criticised his country’s health sector. Since meeting with US President Donald Trump in June, Kim has been more critical of his country’s slow industrial development.
8. A landlord in China was arrested on terror charges for renting out his home to ethnic minority Muslims. China tightly restricts the movements of Uighur Muslims from the Xinjiang region.
9. One of Al-Qaeda’s “most sophisticated bomb-makers” was killed by a US drone strike. Former CIA deputy director Michael Morell called his death “the most significant removal of a terrorist … since the killing of [Osama] bin Laden.”
10. Two Iranian men were indicted for spying on the US.The men are accused of conducting surveillance at a Jewish facility and gathering information on funding for militant opposition group Mujahideen-e Khalq.
And finally …
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.