Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Monday.
1. Legendary journalist Bob Woodward said President Trump nearly provoked North Korea into war with a single tweet.Trump was reportedly angry with the fact that the US spends $US3.5 billion a year to station US troops in South Korea.
2. Jack Ma will step down as Chairman of Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba next year. Ma will be succeeded by Daniel Zhang, Alibaba’s current CEO.
3. North Korea staged a massive military parade, but focused on its economic development rather than missiles. The parade comes at a sensitive time between the US and North Korea and both sides want to avoid provocation.
4. China reportedly detained a man on terrorist charges because he set his watch 2 hours behind Beijing time. Changing clocks to the time in the city of Urumqi is seen as a form of resistance against the Chinese government.
5. The US may threaten to impose sanctions on the International Criminal Court (ICC). National security adviser John Bolton may threaten sanctions if the ICC moves ahead with investigations of Israel or the US.
6.800 Russians were arrested in violent protests against Putin raising the country’s retirement age. Protests have spread across the country in recent weeks, involving tens of thousands of people.
7. Serena Williams was fined $US17,000 over her fiery response to a penalty at the US Open that she called sexist.She was fined $US10,000 for ‘verbal abuse’ of chair umpire Carlos Ramos, $US4,000 for being warned for coaching, and $US3,000 for breaking her racket.
8. President Trump suggested Apple could pay “ZERO tax” if the company moved its production to the US instead of China.The tweet comes after Apple warned that Trump’s pending tariffs on Chinese goods were a tax on US consumers.
9. Anthony Bourdain scored a posthumous Emmy for his food and travel show “Parts Unknown.” The chef turned TV presenter previously won Emmys four years in a row for his role on the show, and was found dead while filming its 11th season.
10. A major Hurricane is hurling towards the US East Coast.Tropical storm Florence strengthened to a hurricane, and Forecasters predict it will make landfall later this week.
And finally …
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.