Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Friday.
1. US President Donald Trump is looking to add an additional $US100 billion in tariffs against China. Following the announcement US stock futures tumbled by more than 1%.
2. Russia warned the UK it is “playing with fire” in its response to the poisoning of ex-spy Sergei Skripal.Britain blamed Russia for the attack, leading to the expulsion of dozens of Russian diplomats around the world.
3. Chinese President Xi Jinping may have given illegal goods to North Korea during Kim Jong Un’s visit. Gifting luxury goods, including expensive jewellery and liquor, would violate international sanctions.
4. A5.3 magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of California.There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage, but some buildings swayed for several minutes.
5. Cambridge Analytica’s parent company claimed it invented Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte’s “tough guy” campaign image. The company has also been linked to elections in St. Kitts and Nevis and Nigeria.
6. Marvel’s “Black Panther” will be the first movie shown in Saudi cinemas in over 35 years. The Crown Prince lifted a cinema ban in December as part of his major social and economic reforms in the Kingdom.
7. Turkey’s spy agency covertly snatched 80 citizens from 18 countries over a 2016 coup attempt. Turkey also arrested more than 38,000 people for links to a US-based cleric who it believes was behind the failed coup.
8. Myanmar groups slammed Facebook for its role in spreading hate speech. CEO Mark Zuckerberg has been accused of not doing enough to crack down on hate speech and direct incitements of violence.
9. NASA is sending a new solar-powered lander to Mars next month. The lander will monitor the planet’s temperature, measure its size, and check for “Marsquakes.”
10. The Philippines shut down popular tourist island Boracay for the next six months. In February, Duterte called the island a “cesspool.“
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.