Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Monday.
1. US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis warned there will be a “bumpy road” towards a summit between Kim Jong Un and President Donald Trump. He also said plans are moving forward for the scheduled June 12 summit in Singapore.
2. Trump’s lawyer Rudy Giuliani said shutting down Robert Mueller’s investigation could lead to the president’s impeachment. Trump has reportedly tried to fire Mueller and end the Russia investigation.
3. Britain could run out of food in days in a doomsday no-deal Brexit scenario. The UK government has reportedly “begun contingency planning” in case one of their major ports collapsed and there was no deal in place.
4. North Korea has reportedly replaced its three top military positions with more moderate officials. Yonhap said the move could be aimed at “taming” the military.
5. China warned the US that trade deals are off if Trump’s threatened tariffs go ahead. The statement came shortly after a delegation led by US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross met with officials in Beijing.
6. Facebook had data-sharing agreements with Apple, Samsung, and Amazon. But Facebook rejected claims that friends’ data was available to device makers without users’ consent.
7. 25 people were killed and hundreds more injured by an erupting volcano in Guatemala. Volcan del Fuego has already erupted once this year, and is one of the most active volcanoes in Central America.
8. Australia’s largest bank agreed to pay a record $529.3 million to settle money laundering charges. Commonwealth Bank admitted it breached money laundering and terror financing laws on 53,800 occasions.
9. At least 44 migrants drowned off the coasts of Tunisia and Turkey. The migrants died in two separate incidents after their boats sank off the coasts of the two countries.
10. A whale died after swallowing 80 plastic bags in Thailand. The total amount of plastic in the whale’s stomach weighed 8 pounds (16 kilograms).
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.