It’s that time of year again, when the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Institute for Legal Reform’s (ILR) releases its list of the Top 10 Most Ridiculous Lawsuits.And this year’s list includes some real head shakers. ILR contends the lawsuits reflect an ongoing abuse of the legal system.
“Abuse of our legal system is no joke, and these examples range from the outrageous to the absurd,” said ILR President Lisa A. Rickard.
“This poll reminds us that, as a society, we sue too much. In turn, these abusive lawsuits inflict harm on lives, jobs and our economic growth.”
The list was composed based on vote cast by visitors to FacesOfLawsuitAbuse.org. The lawsuits were picked from the website’s monthly polls in 2012, which are designed to raise awareness of abusive lawsuits made against businesses, communities and individuals.
The list includes:
- Intoxicated Florida driver pleads guilty to manslaughter, then sues victim he killed.
- Michigan woman files $5 million suit for the leftover gas still in her repossessed car.
- Thirteen-year-old Little Leaguer sued by spectator who got hit with baseball.
- Maximum-security inmate who went to jail with five teeth sues prison for dental problems.
- Anheuser Busch sued after longneck bottle used as weapon in bar fight.
- National Football League fan sues Dallas Cowboys over hot bench.
- California restaurateur sued for disabilities act violations in parking lot he didn’t own.
- Colorado man wins $7 million after blaming illness on inhaling microwave-popcorn fumes.
- A $1.7 billion suit claims City of Santa Monica wireless parking meters cause health problems.
- Bay Area parents sue school after their son was kicked out of honours class for cheating.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.