It looks like the 5 people still stuck in the Thai caves will have to wait at least one more day for rescue

Lauren DeCicca/Getty ImagesOnlookers watch as a helicopter flies towards an airstrip near Tham Luang Nang Non cave to transport the fifth boy rescued from the cave to hospital on July 9, 2018 in Chiang Rai, Thailand.
  • Four boys and their soccer coach remained stranded in the flooded Tham Luang cave complex in Thailand after Monday’s rescue operations concluded.
  • Eight boys have been rescued so far — four on Sunday and four on Monday.
  • Officials have said rescuers were planning to save four people at a time, suggesting that one member of the soccer team may have to stay behind even longer.

Four members of the Thai soccer team stuck in a flooded cave complex are still stranded there, along with their coach, and will have to wait at least one more night before they can be freed.

So far, eight boys have been rescued from the Tham Luang cave network in northern Thailand. Four boys were extracted Monday, while four others were taken out Sunday.

All the boys who have been rescued are in a hospital and in good condition, Narongsak Osatanakorn, the leader of the command center in charge of the rescue mission, told reporters at a press conference on Monday night.

p> The next phase of the rescue operation is likely to take place Tuesday, reporters on the scene said, though Narongsak declined to provide an exact time.

According to a Guardian reporter, he said rescuers needed to “prepare equipment that will take another 20 hours.”

Narongsak reportedly added that rescuers’ plans had been designed to save only four people at a time, suggesting that one member of the soccer team, or the coach, may have to stay behind after the third phase of rescue operations.

A team of divers, medics, counselors, and Thai navy SEALs had been staying with the stranded people since they were found last week.

Monday’s rescue mission started about 11 a.m. local time and ended about 8 p.m., according to the Channel News Asia reporter Saksith Saiyasombut. It took two hours less than the first mission, Narongsak added.

The Wild Boars soccer team had been stranded in the cave complex since June 23, when water levels partially flooded the escape routes, making it difficult to get out.

Rescuers found them huddled on top of a dry rock about 2 1/2 miles from the cave’s entrance after nine days of searching.

None of the rescued boys’ identities have been revealed.

Read the original article on INSIDER. Follow INSIDER on Facebook. Follow INSIDER on Twitter.

Business Insider Emails & Alerts

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Follow Business Insider Australia on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.