The solar tiles that make up the roof were designed to be extremely durable — they’re made of glass, after all.
A new solar roof will also be expensive up front compared to a conventional roof, but Tesla says that it will last for 30 years, the length of a standard US mortgage, or longer.
Tesla has an enormous amount of confidence in its tiles. So much to that the company is offering what it calls an “Infinite Tile Warranty.”
“Made with tempered glass, Solar Roof tiles are more than three times stronger than standard roofing tiles,” Tesla says on the solar roof site. “That’s why we offer the best warranty in the industry — the lifetime of your house, or infinity, whichever comes first.”
CEO Elon Musk put it more bluntly: it’s “infinity or when your house falls down.”
To prove the toughness of its solar tiles, Tesla fired baseball-size hailstones at its tiles and traditional roof tiles — at 110 mph.
The old-school tiles didn’t make it. The Tesla tiles, according to Musk, laughed off the impact.
More from Matthew DeBord:
- Tesla’s new solar roof looks expensive — but it could actually make you money (TSLA)
- A nightmare scenario is beginning for Ford and General Motors (TSLA, GM, F, FCAU)
- These are the coolest features on the $US400,000 Ford GT supercar (F)
- Tesla’s soaring stock price is causing investors to overthink everything (TSLA)
- Here’s what $US1 million worth of Ford GT supercars looks like (F)
Get the latest Tesla stock price here.
NOW WATCH: Money & Markets videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.