- Joe Biden won the Tennessee Democratic primary.
- The former vice president secured 41.63% of votes, with 100% of precincts reporting.
- Super Tuesday in Tennessee saw a turnout of 486,091 voters.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Joe Biden secured a victory in the Tennessee Democratic primary.
Tennessee primary results:
Catch up on live coverage from the primary:
Biden lead the field with 41.63% of votes, with 10% of precincts reporting. Sen. Bernie Sanders trailed in second, at 24.8%. And former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg (15.89% ) is currently beating Sen. Elizabeth Warren (10.10%) for third place.
Biden’s win came about despite his lack of campaigning in Tennessee, according to political observers.
That's compared with Bloomberg, who spent $6.3M in the state.
— Mark Murray (@mmurraypolitics) March 4, 2020
According to CNN, Joe Biden did not campaign in:
And he's going to win them all tonight.
— Derek Thompson (@DKThomp) March 4, 2020
A deadly tornado threw Super Tuesday into chaos in the Volunteer State this year, Reuters reported. Polls in Tennessee remained open for at least an extra hour on Super Tuesday, having been originally set to close at 8 p.m. Eastern.
- Now that the Tennessee race is over, head over to our main Super Tuesday post to follow all the action.
- Biden has enjoyed a strong showing on Super Tuesday, winning Minnesota, Alabama, North Carolina, Oklahoma, and Virginia.
- The former vice president did hit one snag tonight, when topless dairy-decrying protesters crashed his speech.
- Some polling places in the Los Angeles area were affected by a power outage Tuesday afternoon, which also affected parts of LAX airport.
- Former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg told reporters that the only path he sees to winning is through a contested convention, in which no candidate wins a majority of delegates and the Democratic nomination becomes up for grabs.
- Everything you need to know about Super Tuesday on March 3, the biggest day in the Democratic primaries
- The more Democratic voters have gotten to know Mike Bloomberg, the less they like him
- Amy Klobuchar and Pete Buttigieg endorsing Joe Biden is absolutely devastating news for Elizabeth Warren
- 9 mind-blowing facts that show just how much richer Mike Bloomberg is than the other presidential candidates
- ‘We made history’: Pete Buttigieg drops out of the 2020 presidential race
- Joe Biden crushed the South Carolina primary
What was at stake in the primary?
The state has been allocated a total 64 pledged delegates that will vote based on the primary’s popular vote. The statewide vote will determine who gets 22 of the delegates, while the other 42 delegates will be allocated based on how candidates perform in each of the state’s nine congressional districts.
What’d the polls call in this race?
Tennessee’s 2020 Democratic presidential primary took place in a bit of a polling desert. The Brookings Institute, a liberal think tank, noted before the primary that ” there have been no reliable public primary polls of Tennessee voters in recent months.”
FiveThirtyEight did give Biden the edge in Tennessee, projecting that he would win between 21% and 45% of the vote in 80% of simulations.
Tennessee ran an open primary, meaning that voters may participate in the primaries regardless of their voter affiliation.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.