A 19-year-old accidentally started a fire in her apartment while burning old love letters, police say

ShutterstockThe teen burned love letters.
  • A teen accidentally started a fire burning love letters, police said.
  • The 19-year-old was trying to burn old letters with a butane torch, but couldn’t get a flame to start, according to KETV.
  • Instead, she went to sleep in a different room. She soon woke up to smoke and a small fire.
  • Police and fire officers were called to her apartment.
  • She was cited for negligent burning.
  • Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.

On Monday afternoon, a teen from Lincoln, Nebraska, accidentally started a fire in her apartment because she was burning love letters, police said.

A 19-year-old woman, whose identity was not released, started a small fire around 4:30 p.m. while burning old letters from an ex-partner, according to a Facebook post from police.

In her bedroom, not far from her mattress, the 19-year-old attempted to light the letters on fire using a butane torch, according to KETV. However, the old documents would not catch flame so she set them on the carpeted ground.

Then, the 19-year-old left her bedroom to take a nap in the living room, KETV reported.

She soon awoke so smoke and flames, the LPD Facebook post said.


Read more:
14 rescuers created a human chain to save 4 dolphins in Florida

Lincoln police and fire officers were called to the scene to put out the flames. No one was injured, but the fire ultimately caused $US4,000 worth of damage to the apartment, police said. The 19-year-old was cited with negligent burning.

Business Insider Emails & Alerts

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Follow Business Insider Australia on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.