- Facebook on Tuesday reported third-quarter results that weren’t as bad as feared.
- Tech stocks in the FAANG basket all surged on Wednesday.
- The FAANG stocks were among the hardest hit during the stock-market selling in October.
- Watch Facebook,Amazon,Apple,Netflix and Google-parent Alphabet trade live.
The social-media company on Tuesday reported revenue that missed Wall Street estimates, and said that user trends stalled. But, shares spiked as investors were positioning for the worst.
Following Facebook’s report, the tech-heavy Nasdaq composite jumped more than 2%, in large part due to the big gains coming from the “FAANG” basket, including Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix and Google-parent Alphabet. Meanwhile, the “NYSE FANG+ Index” – which tracks the performance of FAANG stocks along with other frequently-traded technology names such as Tesla, Twitter, Nvidia, Alibaba and Baidu – gained 2.65%.
Wednesday’s rally could mark the biggest single-day gain by the FAANG basket since January 2016, according to Bloomberg.
The tech giants have been among the hardest hit during the brutal market sell-off in October. The Nasdaq Composite was down 12.2% this month before Wednesday, and the “NYSE FANG+ Index” tanked 13.5%.
Here is the scoreboard of how much FAANG stocks fared on Wednesday:
- Netflix (NFLX): +6.43%
- Amazon (AMZN): +4.33%
- Google (GOOG): +4.14%
- Facebook (FB): +3.58%
- Apple (AAPL): +2.76%
Read more stories on FAANG stocks:
- ‘Not as spooky as feared, but ghosts remain’: Here’s what Wall Street is saying about Facebook’s decelerating growth
- Traders betting against FAANG stocks have made $US5.5 billion during the brutal October sell-off
- Baillie Gifford has gotten in early on Amazon, Facebook, and Alibaba – here are 2 under-the-radar stock picks the firm loves
- JPMorgan’s quant guru diagnoses the market’s brutal month of selling – and explains why stocks will surge into year-end
- Panic has yet to peak in this stock market meltdown – here’s why Wall Street thinks the crash has only just begun
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.