The INSIDER Summary:
- Taylor Swift released the first single from her upcoming sixth album Friday.
- It’s called “Look What You Made Me Do” and teases a darker, edgier side to Swift.
- The majority of fans are loving it.
- Others aren’t as impressed with the simplicity of her lyrics after waiting three years for her next album.
Taylor Swift is back!
The 27-year-old singer released the first single off of her upcoming sixth studio album late Thursday night and it’s showing a sassier, no-holds-barred side to Swift.
“Look What You Made Me Do” teases Swift ready to come out in full force against those who have wronged her in the past. Lyrics like “All I think about is karma … Maybe I got mine, you’ll all get yours” and “I don’t like you” suggest Swift is heading for a warpath. She also teases having a “list of names” with one in particular that’s underlined in red.
She doesn’t name drop anyone specifically in her first single, but maybe she’s just warming up until the November release of her new album.
Regardless, the majority of fans are loving the new Taylor.
Many are commenting on the darker vibe of the song.
Taylor Swift came back after 3 years with a dark pop song that ended all of her haters in just 3 minutes and 32 seconds#TaylorSwiftIsBack pic.twitter.com/VFmQeHNdEf
— summer (@slaylorstan) August 25, 2017
Specifically, a line where she proclaims the old Taylor is dead has fans rattled.
so this is why Taylor deleted everything from her social media accounts… because the old Taylor is dead ???? #mindblown #LookWhatYouMadeMeDo pic.twitter.com/Fi0XJZzktE
— alice elizabeth (@aewibes_) August 25, 2017
I’m sorry the old Taylor can’t come to the phone.
But not everyone is feeling the new song.
…remix the same three beats and four lines of lyrics?
It took you three years to do this????
— sara in shake shaq (@frnchgrapefruit) August 25, 2017
this sounds like a 1989 b-side and that is not exactly a compliment
— Maya Kosoff (@mekosoff) August 25, 2017
Feels like Kanye won tonight without firing a shot.
— Steven Hyden (@Steven_Hyden) August 25, 2017
Swift’s sixth album, “Reputation” will be out November 10.
More from INSIDER:
- Lorde just performed at MTV’s VMAs without singing and left everyone confused — here’s why
- Taylor Swift just revealed a new music video for ‘Look What You Made Me Do’ at the VMAs — and it’s everything we’ve been hoping for
- The craziest looks from the 2017 MTV Video Music Awards
- Here’s a closer look at the stunning new ‘Game of Thrones’ costumes in season 7
- Sophie Turner shares goofy behind-the-scenes ‘Game of Thrones’ photo with BFF Maisie Williams
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.