- Tammy Lawrence-Daley, 51, alleged in a Facebook post last week that she had been beaten and left for dead by a man wearing a staff uniform at the Majestic Elegance resort in the Dominican Republic in January.
- On Wednesday, the Punta Cana hotel released a statement, denying certain aspects of Lawrence-Daley’s story, and accusing her of demanding $US2.2 million from them before she went public with her claims.
- Dominican Republican authorities have also cast doubt on Lawrence-Daley’s story, including “discrepancies” in her husband’s story.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
The Dominican Republic hotel where a woman alleges she was beaten for hours by a man wearing a resort uniform is now accusing her of demanding $US2.2 million from them before going public with her claims.
Last week, Tammy Lawrence-Daley, 51, of Wilmington, Delaware wrote a Facebook post alleging she was assaulted at the Majestic Elegance resort in Punta Cana, where she vacationed with her husband and another couple at the end of January.
In the post, Lawrence-Daley said she was attacked by an unknown man wearing a Majestic Elegance uniform after she left her room to get a late-night snack. She alleges she was beaten for eight hours and eventually left for dead, before being discovered the next morning battered and bruised.
On Wednesday, the resort issued a statement disputing multiple aspects of Lawrence-Daley’s story.
The company also alleges that she “demanded” $US2.2 million from them before going public with her story.
“After receiving no positive response, she disclosed her version of the case, 4 months after it happened,” the statement said.
A different side of the story
In her initial post, Lawrence-Daley said her husband Christopher had to go to the front desk three times before staff would help him look for his wife, who didn’t return to their room after going to look for late-night snacks.
But the hotel said a search effort was launched within minutes of Christopher Daley reporting his wife missing at 2:30 a.m. on January 29.
Official information from Majestic Resorts Punta Cana pic.twitter.com/97BIdz7aEE
— Majestic Resorts – 5* star luxury hotels (@MajesticResorts) June 5, 2019
“The hotel rigorously implemented the security protocol provided for cases when information is received of a guest in trouble,” the hotel statement said.
The statement alleged Lawrence-Daley was found in a restricted area of the hotel around 6:40 a.m., and appeared to downplay her injuries.
“She showed bruises on her face and had broken a fingernail, without presenting any other signs of violence on her body, and still being in possession of her purse, cell phone and other belongings,” the statement said.
The authorities were immediately called, according to the hotel, and Lawrence-Daley was taken to the hospital. While there, Majestic Elegance said a member of the hotel stayed with her to make “sure that her needs were met.”
Lawrence-Daley painted the hotel’s response coldly, alleging on Facebook they “didn’t offer to reimburse us for our vacation, let alone my current medical bills.”
But Majestic Elegance said it “paid all hospital expenses” and even offered the couple a “complimentary extension of their stay at the hotel for all the time necessary to recover and arrange their departure from the country.”
While she was recuperating at the hotel after leaving the hospital, Majestic Elegance said Lawrence-Daley “refused to present any legal accusations despite the recommendation of the local authorities.”
Dominican Republic officials have also cast doubt on Lawrence-Daley’s story. DR national police chief spokesman Col. Frank Durán told CBS News that officials are still investigating her claims, and say they have found inconsistencies.
“There is a lot of conjecture about the case, a lot of information that doesn’t match some of the statements,” Durán said. “We have to wait for the investigation to end.”
Majestic Elegance pointed out in their statement that law enforcement has doubts about the story, but said they have “no opinion” on the matter. They said they are continuing to cooperate with local authorities.
INSIDER reached out to Lawrence-Daley for comment on Majestic Elegance’s statement, but did not immediately receive a response on Thursday.
Lawrence-Daley’s story is one of several to come out in recent weeks of incidents involving American tourists visiting the Dominican Republic. Five Americans have died on the island in the last three months.
- Read more:
- A woman says she was brutally attacked and left for dead at a Dominican Republic resort
- A Colorado couple alleges they were poisoned at the same Dominican Republic resort where 3 Americans died last month
- The Dominican Republic resort where 3 Americans died within 5 days of each other says their deaths aren’t related
- 5 American tourists have died in the Dominican Republic in less than three months
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.