- Every state has a highest building, whether it’s an 11-story apartment building or a super tall skyscraper reaching well over 1,000 feet.
- We ranked the highest buildings in all 50 states.
- The tallest building is 15 times larger than the smallest.
While tall buildings are concentrated in the larger cities in the US, every state has to have their own tallest building. We found the largest building in each state using data from The Skyscraper Center, a database maintained by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat.
Keep scrolling to see where your state’s tallest building ranks.
50. Decker Towers in Burlington, Vermont, is 116 feet tall.
According to Seven Days, the apartment complex reaches 116.3 feet and has 11 floors, making it the smallest “big” building in the US.
49. The CenturyLink Tower in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, is 174 feet tall.
48. White Hall at the University of Wyoming in Laramie is 200 feet tall.
Wyoming is the only state whose tallest building is a college dorm. White Hall reaches 12 stories high.
47. The Agora Grand Event Center in Lewiston, Maine, is 220 feet tall.
The Agora mainly serves as a wedding venue. The tower rises 20 stories above the ground.
46. North Dakota’s State Capitol in Bismarck is 242 feet tall.
An urban legend in North Dakota posits that no building in the state can be taller than the 19-story capitol building, but there’s no such law.
45. The First Interstate Center in Billings, Montana, is 272 feet tall.
The 18-story office building is located in the heart of downtown Billings.
44. City Hall Plaza in Manchester, New Hampshire, is 275 feet tall.
City Hall Plaza has 20 floors and 219,700 square feet of space.
43. West Virginia’s State Capitol in Charleston is 293 feet tall.
The gold dome of West Virginia’s capitol building is larger than that of the capitol building in Washington, DC.
42. The Conoco-Phillips Building in Anchorage is 296 feet tall.
The Conoco-Phillips building is located in downtown Anchorage, Alaska, and is part of a three-building complex. It has 21 floors.
41. Eighth & Main in Boise, Idaho, is 323 feet tall.
Eighth & Main opened its 18 floors up in 2014.
40. The River Tower at Christina Landing in Wilmington, Delaware, is 340 feet tall.
The apartment building is located right on the Christina River and has 27 floors.
39. The Beau Rivage Casino Hotel in Biloxi, Mississippi, is 347 feet tall.
38. Capitol Center in Columbia, South Carolina, is 349 feet tall.
37. Albuquerque Plaza in Albuquerque, New Mexico, is 351 feet tall.
Albuquerque Plaza is also known as the US Eagle Building and is 22 floors.
36. The Epic Center in Wichita, Kansas, is 385 feet tall.
The Epic Center has 24 floors and 250,000 square feet.
35. The Wells Fargo Center in Salt Lake City, Utah, is 422 feet tall.
34. The Industrial National Bank Building in Providence, Rhode Island, is 428 feet tall.
The building is called the “Superman Building” by locals due to its resemblance to the Daily Planet, the newspaper that Clark Kent works at in the comics.
33. The First Hawaiian Center in Honolulu, Hawaii, is 429 feet tall.
32. The Chase Tower in Phoenix, Arizona, is 483 feet tall.
The 40-story building sold in May 2018 for $US79 million.
31. The Westin Virginia Beach Town Center in Virginia Beach, Virginia, is 508 feet tall.
The hotel was renovated last summer and has an 8,332-square-foot ballroom.
30. The Transamerica Tower in Baltimore, Maryland, is 529 feet tall.
The 37-story skyscraper sold in 2015 for $US121 million.
29. City Place I in Hartford, Connecticut, is 535 feet tall.
City Place I has been the state’s tallest building since the ’80s and has 38 floors.
28. Simmons Tower in Little Rock, Arkansas, is 546 feet tall (and is tied with the following building).
The Simmons Tower was built in the ’80s. It has 40 floors.
28. The Wells Fargo Center in Portland, Oregon, is also 546 feet tall.
Unsurprisingly, the Wells Fargo Center also has 40 floors and “panoramic views of downtown Portland, Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, and the Willamette River,” according to its website.
26. 400 West Market in Louisville, Kentucky, is 549 feet tall.
Louisville’s 400 West Market was completed in 1993 and has 35 floors.
25. The US Bank Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is 601 feet tall.
The 42-story skyscraper won a Distinguished Building Award in 1974 from the American Institute of Architects upon completion.
24. AT&T Building in Nashville, Tennessee, is 617 feet tall.
Nashville locals know it as the “Batman Building” due to its striking resemblance to Batman’s mask with the two spires on either side, though, the design was supposed to emulate mobile phone antennae.
23. One Kansas City Place in Kansas City, Missouri, is 624 feet tall.
One Kansas City Place has 42 stories and 1.3 million square feet of space.
22. 801 Grand in Des Moines, Iowa, is 630 feet tall.
Des Moines’ 801 Grand has 44 floors and is 630 feet tall. It also has more than 2,000 steps.
21. The First National Bank Tower in Omaha, Nebraska, is 634 feet tall.
This 46-story building also has two underground tunnels to combat frigid Nebraska winters.
20. The Palazzo in Las Vegas, Nevada, is 642 feet tall.
The Palazzo opened in 2008, cost a whopping $US1.9 billion, and is 50 stories tall.
19. The Hancock Whitney Center in New Orleans, Louisiana, is 697 feet tall.
The Hancock Whitney Center recently opened under its new name in January 2019. Prior to that, the 51-story building was known as One Shell Square.
18. Republic Plaza in Denver, Colorado, is 714 feet tall.
Republic Plaza was recently renovated and has 56 floors.
17. The RSA Battle House Tower in Mobile, Alabama, is 745 feet tall.
The building has 35 floors and contains both offices and apartments.
16. Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center in Detroit, Michigan, is 755 feet tall.
15. The Goldman Sachs Tower in Jersey City, New Jersey, is 781 feet tall.
Also known as 30 Hudson Street, this building has 42 floors. But its time at the top is limited. The crown of 99 Hudson Street, also in Jersey City, is currently being installed. When the building is completed, it will top off at 900 feet.
14. John Hancock Tower in Boston, Massachusetts, is 790 feet tall.
John Hancock Tower, or 200 Clarendon, depending on who you ask, is the tallest building in New England topping out at 790 feet.
13. The IDS Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota, is 792 feet tall.
The IDS Center has towered over Minneapolis since its completion in 1972 and has 57 floors.
12. The Salesforce Tower in Indianapolis, Indiana, is 811 feet tall.
The Salesforce Tower is 48 stories tall – and Salesforce itself occupies 12 of them.
11. Devon Tower in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, is 850 feet tall.
The building’s three-sided design “evolved in part from Devon’s desire to not ‘turn its back’ on any part of the city,” according to Skyscraper Center.
10. Panorama Tower in Miami, Florida, is 868 feet tall.
Panorama Tower literally towers over Miami – it has 85 floors.
9. The Bank of America Corporate Center in Charlotte, North Carolina, is 871 feet tall.
The Bank of America Corporate Center was built in 1992 and has 60 stories.
8. The Columbia Center in Seattle, Washington, is 943 feet tall.
The Columbia Center is home to the Skyview Observatory on the 73rd floor of the building, making it the highest observatory deck in the Pacific Northwest.
7. Key Tower in Cleveland, Ohio, is 947 feet tall.
Key Tower has 57 floors, and is attached to the Cleveland Marriott Downtown.
6. The JPMorgan Chase Tower in Houston, Texas, is 1,002 feet tall.
The building has 75 floors, and contains the largest sculpture ever commissioned by famed artist Joan Miró.
5. Bank of America Plaza in Atlanta, Georgia, is 1,023 feet tall.
The tallest building in Georgia has 55 stories and 1.3 million square feet of space.
4. The Wilshire Grand Center in Los Angeles, California, is 1,100 feet tall.
The 73-floor skyscraper is where the Hotel InterContinental Los Angeles Downtown calls home.
3. The Comcast Technology Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is 1,121 feet tall.
The 60-story Comcast Technology Center was Philadelphia’s first “supertall” building, which is defined as anything above 1,000 feet, according to Curbed.
2. Willis Tower in Chicago, Illinois, is 1,451 feet tall.
1. One World Trade Center in New York, New York, is 1,776 feet tall.
America’s tallest building, One World Trade Center (or the Freedom Tower), is intentionally 1,776 feet to honour the year that the United States was founded.
- Read more:
- We climbed Vessel, the $US200 million art installation at New York’s Hudson Yards. Here’s what it was like.
- The tallest skyscrapers of 2018 include a helipad, sky gardens, and an indoor skating rink
- 7 iconic buildings across the US that no longer exist – and what’s in their place today
- Here’s a look at every single Apple store in the United States
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.