To the scoreboard:
- Dow: 24,813.69 +178.48 (+0.72%)
- S&P 500: 2,746.87 +12.25 (+0.45%)
- AUD/USD: 0.7649 +0.0001 (+0.01%)
- ASX200 SPI futures (June contracts): 6,003 (-23)
1. It’s RBA day: The central bank will make its interest rate announcement at 2:30pm AEST, with rates expected to stay on hold at 1.5%. David Scutt’s 10-second guide has everything you need to know. There’s also the latest services PMIs and more input data ahead of tomorrow’s Q1 GDP figures.
2. US stocks rose overnight as markets shifted focus from trade tensions to last week’s upbeat jobs data, although ASX traders have marked the local index down this morning. Most European markets also climbed, but Italy’s MIB index dipped by 0.45% as doubts persist about the new coalition government’s fiscal strategy.
3. Benchmark US 10-year bond yields rose by another five basis points to 2.95%, after falling below 2.8% last week amid the political turmoil in Italy. The Aussie dollar climbed again overnight after pushing above US76 cents in the wake of yesterday’s retail sales data.
4. It was another strong session for US tech stocks, with Apple briefly hitting an all-time high above $US193 as its WWDC developers conference kicked off overnight. Shares in Twitter reached their highest level since 2015 and closed up more than 3%.
5. Oil prices slid as markets wait out a decision OPEC on any changes to its supply outlook. Brent crude, the international benchmark, shed nearly 2% to $75.20 a barrel at session lows.
6. Crypto company Ripple is giving $50 million to universities for blockchain research. The project extends research funding to 17 universities, including Princeton and MIT.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.