Welcome to Finance Insider, Business Insider’s summary of the top stories of the past 24 hours. Sign up here to get the best of Business Insider delivered direct to your inbox.
Tech earnings season is upon us, with Microsoft and Facebook both set to report today after the bell.
Wall Street is expecting Facebook to post another blowout quarter – but analysts are worried about fake news and other problems. Millennials are bearish on the company – but they love Microsoft.
A Wall Street analyst downgraded Apple, saying there’s one big problem with the iPhone X. Meanwhile, the company responded to a report that the US government is investigating its software that slows down some older iPhones with ageing batteries.
In other markets news:
- The Fed could be about to rattle the stock market
- What a $US2.8 trillion asset manager is watching for proof that the bull market in stocks is really over
- It’s still shockingly cheap to protect against big stock market losses – here’s how to do it
- Janet Yellen’s departure from the Fed is a huge loss for anyone who cares about unemployment
- Traders betting against healthcare firms made $US294 million in a single day after the Amazon-JPMorgan-Berkshire Hathaway mega-announcement
In deals news: A tiny advisory firm with just three partners will earn a slice of the $US80 million in advisory fees from the $US17 billion Reuters-Blackstone deal. Fujifilm is taking over Xerox with a $US6.1 billion deal. Morgan Stanley says these 15 companies are the most likely to get bought this year.
Hedge fund managers are celebrating big pay increases – here’s how much you can expect to earn working at one.
Fox has nabbed Thursday Night Football in a massive five-year deal, reportedly worth $US660 million a year.
- A 21-year-old college student invested 80% of his summer paycheck in cryptocurrencies and made an enormous profit
- APPLE COFOUNDER STEVE WOZNIAK: I’ve sold all my bitcoin
- Ethereum has outpaced its rival cryptocurrencies since the start of 2018
- CNET founder Halsey Minor has raised $US25 million for a new cryptocurrency-based effort to take on Amazon in cloud video services
The head of the CDC resigned after a report said she purchased shares of a tobacco company while in office.
Jaguar will unveil its all-electric Tesla rival in March – and it looks awesome.
Lastly, here are the 32 most fun, friendly, and affordable cities in the world.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.