Welcome to Finance Insider, Business Insider’s summary of the top stories of the past 24 hours. Sign up here to get the best of Business Insider delivered direct to your inbox.
Congress passed the final version of the Republican tax bill on Wednesday, capping off a furious seven-week push to bring about the most sweeping changes to the US tax code in decades. Here’s what you need to know:
- Companies are rushing to announce special bonuses and pay hikes after the GOP tax plan
- AT&T is handing out more than $US200 million in special bonuses because of the GOP tax cut
- LOPEZ: Bonuses are nice, AT&T, but we see what you’re doing, and workers have nothing to do with it
- The GOP says only “rich people” will get a tax increase from its bill – but millions of middle-class Americans could pay more
- RAY DALIO ON TAX CUTS: “We’re still not dealing with the bigger issues”
- An econ professor turned small-business owner breaks down his three big problems with the GOP tax plan
- DA COSTA: Trump’s stock market braggadocio neglects a key constituency that helped elect him
- Here’s how the newly passed GOP tax bill will impact the economy, businesses, the deficit, and your wallet
- UBS: Bitcoin “has all the hallmarks of a bubble”
- A Chicago trading firm is hiring for a new cryptocurrency team
- The New York Stock Exchange is looking to dive into bitcoin with 2 new ETFs
- A US financial watchdog is warning investors about crypto “pump and dump” schemes
- A rush of companies are pivoting to blockchain
Lastly, here are the 17 business books everyone will be reading in 2018.