Welcome to Finance Insider, Business Insider’s summary of the top stories of the past 24 hours. Sign up here to get the best of Business Insider delivered direct to your inbox.
To hear detractors of Republicans’ tax bill tell it, the plan as written wouldn’t actually boost economic activity. These sceptics think corporations will simply use the excess capital from tax cuts to buy back their own shares.
And that’s not too far-fetched of an idea. After all,buybacks have swelled during the 8-1/2-year equity bull market, and stock gains have followed in spades.
But AQR Capital Management, the quantitative hedge fund that manages $US208 billion, doesn’t buy it. The firm thinks buybacks are misunderstood – and don’t directly drive much share appreciation at all.
In crypto news:
- Vanguard, the fund giant with nearly $US5 trillion in assets, is using blockchain to underpin its mutual funds
- Ethereum soars above $US600 after a group of big banks announce a new project on its blockchain
- Litecoin creator issues stern warning after the cryptocurrency doubles in a single day
- Paying taxes on bitcoin isn’t nearly as hard as it sounds
- BlackRock exec on bitcoin: “We are seeing bubble-like valuations”
- People are putting their homes at risk to buy Bitcoin
- GOLDMAN SACHS: Bitcoin hasn’t taken a bite out of demand for gold
- Here’s what you need to know about the important cryptocurrencies not named bitcoin
Lastly, we drove the $US120,000 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS to see if it was worth the price – here’s the verdict.
NOW WATCH: Money & Markets videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.