Welcome to Finance Insider, Business Insider’s summary of the top stories of the past 24 hours. Sign up here to get the best of Business Insider delivered direct to your inbox.
The bank reported adjusted earnings of $US1.45 a share, a 45% increase from last year and well ahead of analyst expectations of $US1.28 a share. Here are the key numbers (emphasis added):
- Revenue: $US11.1 billion, up 14% from last year and a record.
- Adjusted net income: $US2.7 billion, up 38% from last year and also a record.
Among the standouts in the bank’s impressive first quarter earnings report was its standing in fixed-income.
The New York-bank posted its best fixed income results in three years. That’s striking considering its a business the wealth management giant once de-emphasised. In 2015, it took an axe to fixed-income,cutting 25% of its workforce, replacing its leadership, and slashing bonuses.
Elsewhere in finance news, Tiger Global Management led a $US17 million Series A round in Green Bits, a software platform for cannabis dispensaries. And the Southwest passenger who died after a major engine failure has been identified as a Wells Fargo VP and mother of two.
In markets news:
- Forget a trade war – there’s a more threatening ‘bogeyman’ that should have traders very scared
- An overlooked corner of the market has been quietly crushing it – and Bank of America has 2 trades to capitalise on more strength
- Tesla’s ongoing Model 3 saga has traders paying record prices to protect against a stock drop
And in corporate news:
- A Wall Street analyst figured out the real price Netflix should charge customers – and he says it would destroy the company’s growth
- Chipotle is banking on breakfast and drive-thrus to turn around the chain, according to investor Bill Ackman
- Amazon and Best Buy are partnering to sell TVs – and it shows how complex their relationship has become
- IBM is getting rocked after giving disappointing guidance
- Here’s the letter Sears sent workers telling them they were fired
NOW WATCH: Money & Markets videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.