Here is what you need to know.
- Trump has no plans to meet with Xi ahead of the trade deadline. When asked if he planned to meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping before the March 1 deadline, President Donald Trump said: “No,” according to Reuters.
- An unloved area of the market is set to explode higher. “2019 will be a pivotal year during the growth baton will shift once again from the U.S. tech sector to emerging markets,” Vincent Deluard, a macro strategist at INTL FCStone, told Business Insider.
- Jeff Bezos accuses the National Enquirer of extortion. In a blog post on Medium, the founder and CEO of Amazon said the National Enquirer threatened to release naked photos of him unless he stopped his investigation into leaks.
- Eddie Lampert’s last-ditch effort to save Sears wins approval. Sears Chairman Eddie Lampert’s $US5.2 billion bid to buy the beleaguered retailer from bankruptcy will keep open about 400 stores and save 45,000 jobs.
- Amazon invests in a self-driving startup.The e-commerce giant has made a “significant investment” in the self-driving startup Aurora, according to an Aurora press release out Thursday.
- Gossamer Bio prices its IPO. The clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company priced its initial public offering at $US16 a share, raising about $US276 million. Gossamer will trade on the Nasdaq under the ticker “GOSS.”
- SunTrust and BB&T used a word that should terrify their employees. SunTrust Banks and BB&T said Thursday that their $US66 billion deal would produce $US1.6 billion of “synergies.”
- Postmates is going public. The food-delivery-app company, which was last valued at $US1.85 billion in January, announced Thursday it has confidentially filed for an initial public offering.
- Stock markets around the world were mixed. Japan’s Nikkei (-2%) was hit hard overnight and Britain’s FTSE (+0.17%) leads the gains in Europe. The S&P 500 was set to open down 0.39% near 2,696.
- Earnings reporting slows down. Exelon, Hasbro, and Phillips 66 report ahead of the opening bell.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.