- Comedian Steve Harvey made a joke about cartels while speaking to Miss Colombia Gabriela Tafur Náder onstage at the 2019 Miss Universe pageant.
- Harvey had been discussing his infamous 2015 gaffe, when he incorrectly named Miss Colombia the new Miss Universe instead of Miss Philippines, before he made the joke.
- When Náder told Harvey that her country had forgiven his mistake, he said: “The cartel hasn’t forgiven me.”
- It was Harvey’s second joke of the night about Colombian cartels. Many on Twitter called him out, calling his jokes “ignorant” and “absolutely disrespectful.”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Steve Harvey isn’t embarrassed about his infamous Miss Universe 2015 gaffe, and wanted everyone to know that when he took the stage as host once against for the 2019 competition on Sunday night.
But the host began trending on Twitter yet again when he made a cartel joke while talking to Miss Colombia.
Miss Colombia Gabriela Tafur Náder referenced Harvey’s 2015 mistake, when he announced Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez as the next Miss Universe when Miss Philippines Pia Wurtzbach had actually won the competition, after he revealed she had made the top 20.
“Are you sure?” she joked. “Should I go back?”
Harvey said “Yes, look,” and then spelled out Colombia. When Náder told Harvey that her country had forgiven his mistake, he said: “The cartel hasn’t forgiven me.”
The joke didn’t sit well with many viewers, who took to Twitter to express their disappointment in Harvey.
Steve Harvey talking about Colombia’s cartels is not funny #MissUniverse
— Victoria Leandra (@leandrareports) December 9, 2019
— Diana Montoya (@dianaeme) December 9, 2019
— Julie Florez (@JulieTheBeauty) December 9, 2019
Colombian actor Andres Simon said Harvey was the “worst host ever,” calling his joke “ignorant” and “absolutely disrespectful.”
Worst host ever @IAmSteveHarvey , absolutely disrespectful the joke of the “Cartels”. We are a great country full of good people and we don’t deserve that image anymore. Surprising how ignorant a host can be, recommend you to open a book once in a while. Joke a out of place!
— Andres Simon (@AndresSimon_) December 9, 2019
“Worst host ever @IAmSteveHarvey, absolutely disrepectful the joke of the ‘Cartels’. We are a great country full of good people and we don’t deserve that image anymore,” Simon wrote in the tweet. “Surprising how ignorant a host can be, recommend you to open a book once in a while. Joke a out of place!”
One viewer said Harvey’s joke was all the more tone-deaf as it preceded Miss Colombia’s package video, in which she discussed her work to fight violence in her country.
I like how @IAmSteveHarvey makes a joke about the cartel to #MissColombia and then cut to her package and she’s like “I’m a lawyer and have been fighting violence in my country.” Get it girl. And Steve, sit down man. #MissUniverse
— Spenser Wempe (@SpenserWempe) December 9, 2019
The moment wasn’t Harvey’s first cartel joke of the night. At the beginning of the pageant final, during his opening monologue, Harvey discussed his error in 2015 and said “Colombia’s gotten over that.”
“They have forgiven me,” he continued. “Well, not all of them. The cartel’s still tripping a little bit.”
Escobar died in 1993, but his influence continues to be seen in everything from the popular Netflix show “Narcos” to references of Colombian violence and drugs in “Modern Family,” “Family Guy,” and “Entourage.”
- Read more:
- Miss USA Cheslie Kryst wore a Statue of Liberty dress that looked like something straight out of ‘Miss Congeniality’ to compete in Miss Universe 2019
- Miss Universe and Miss USA reveal how they did their makeup without any mirrors right before going onstage for the final competition
- Miss Universe Catriona Grey believes it’s easier to learn how to walk in high heels with a taller heel, and top runway coaches agree
- Miss USA Cheslie Kryst helped free a man sentenced to life in prison for a drug offence and says marijuana should be legal
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.