Online home furnishings retailer Wayfair posted strong second quarter earnings last week.
- Net revenue from merchandise sales topped $US490 million, an increase of 66% year-over-year compared to the same quarter a year ago.
- The number of people who have purchased something from Wayfair in the past twelve months increased 54% to 4 million in the second quarter.
The staggering growth of the overall furniture e-commerce industry has helped propel companies like Wayfair.
Wayfair’s CEO Niraj Shah said during that earnings call that the company’s growth streak is indeed a result of “the market opportunity, and rapidly changing and favourable dynamics of how customers purchase home goods.”
This year, we estimate Americans will spend $US32 billion on furniture, surpassing electronics as the third-largest e-commerce category in the US.
Finding this article interesting? Thousands of professionals just like you had it in their inbox first. Stay ahead of the curve and gain a comprehensive understanding of the latest news & trends, start your day with the E-Commerce INSIDER. Get two weeks risk-free
Here are other stories you need to know from today’s E-Commerce INSIDER:
- Pop-up shop market is growing
- Retailers adopting mobile wallets
- Companies in the news: Global Brands Group, Alibaba, JD.com, Tiger Global, GreyOrange, Birchbox, Kohl’s, Amazon, Massdrop, Cover, Uber
Don’t miss another day of breaking developments. Stay ahead of the curve and gain insight into the latest news & trends. Join thousands of other professionals who start the day with E-Commerce INSIDER. Try any of our INSIDER newsletters for two weeks »
NOW WATCH: Tech Insider videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.