- A Spotify Group Session allow users to listen to a playlist or podcast simultaneously from anywhere they can access the web player or mobile app.
- You must be a Spotify Premium member to access and use the Group Session feature.
- Spotify Group Sessions can include anywhere from two to five members who are invited via a custom link.
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Thanks in part to its dynamic listening and discovery features,Spotify has become one of the most popular ways to enjoy your favourite songs, artists, and more.
Now, Premium members can take their Spotify experience to another level with Group Sessions. Launched in July 2020, the feature allows users to simultaneously listen to the same playlist or podcast from wherever they are via a unique link.
In group sessions, listeners can pick tracks and add them to the main queue running via the device that initiated the session. Anyone invited to the Group Session can listen from their device or listen on yours while controlling it from their own.
A group session can feature two to five users and is available via the desktop or mobile app. And you can choose to leave or end a group session at any time by tapping the appropriate option at the bottom of the page.
If you want a truly shared listening experience, here’s how to launch your own Spotify Group Session.
How to use a Spotify Group Session
1. Open Spotify.
2. Click or tap the “Device” icon in the Spotify app screen’s lower right-hand corner.
3. Scroll down until you see the “START SESSION” button under the “Start a group Session” header.
4. Now, tap “Invite Friends.”
5. From here, you’ll have two options for inviting others to your Spotify group session.
- Share a link: Copy the group session’s unique link to the social media app of your choice or paste it into a text or email to send it to another Spotify user manually.
- Spotify code: Let anyone you want to add to your group session scan the unique Spotify code found on the sharing page.
- embed type