- Speaking to Harper’s Bazaar UK, Sophie Turner said that Joe Jonas made the first move in their relationship by sliding into her Instagram DMs.
- Turner said that they had mutual friends who were trying to set up the couple, and Jonas unexpectedly messaged her one day
- “We were following each other on Instagram and he direct messaged me one fine day, out of the blue,” she recalled.
- The couple got engaged in October 2017 and will get married this summer.
“We had a lot of mutual friends and they’d been trying to introduce us for a long time,” Turner told Harper’s Bazaar UK during a new interview. “We were following each other on Instagram and he direct messaged me one fine day, out of the blue.”
The “Game of Thrones” star also explained that she and Jonas “balance each other out.”
“He’s lovely,” she said. “He’s just the funniest. You wouldn’t expect he’s about to turn 30 this year. He’s the most fun, energetic, positive person I’ve ever seen. I’m pessimistic, so we balance each other out.”
In 2018, actress and singer Hailee Steinfeld revealed that she played a role in getting her mutual friends together. Steinfeld referred to Turner as a “really good friend” and previously collaborated with Jonas and his band, DNCE, for the song “Rock Bottom.”
“I will say, I did get that text from Sophie being like, ‘So, tell me about Joe,’ and I was like, ‘Go for it,'” Steinfeld told Nova 96.9.
Since becoming a couple, Turner and Jonas have gotten matching tattoos inspired by a “Toy Story” quote. The ink on Jonas’ wrist reads “To infinity,” while Turner has “& beyond.” The “X-Men” star has spoken about how Jonas helped her sort through an “identity crisis.”
“I had a bit of an identity crisis where I was playing all these people and I’d grown up faster than I probably should have done,” she told Glamour UK.
“A lot of [my happiness now] is to do with being with a person I’ve fallen in love with, who loves me more than he loves himself, and who wants to see me find my own happiness,” she continued. “That was probably the biggest thing that pushed me to find who I am – and find my happiness in things other than acting.”
Turner and Jonas are set to tie the knot this summer during a ceremony that the actress says will be “intimate” and “low-key.” Although Turner is looking forward to the wedding, she previously explained that marriage won’t be the greatest thing that will ever happen to her.
“There’s this weird misconception that being married is the greatest thing that will ever happen to you,” Turner said. “But I’ve always found that my career is something I work for, and when I achieve something, there’s a sense that this is the greatest thing I’ll do in my life.”
She added: “Not like I achieved anything, but I found my person, like I’d find a house that I love and want to stay in forever. There’s a sense of peace that comes with finding your person. But there’s a drive that comes with your career.”
- Read more about Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas:
- Sophie Turner says that her upcoming wedding to Joe Jonas is going to be ‘intimate’ and ‘as low-key as possible’
- Sophie Turner knows fans dislike her for being engaged to Joe Jonas, but says that it could’ve been worse
- Joe Jonas spoofs ‘Planet Earth’ with a video of Sophie Turner tripping and falling in the snow
- Joe Jonas revealed Sophie Turner and Priyanka Chopra have a special name for their friendship
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.