What time of day is most popular in social media? How has e-commerce darling Fab.com grown mega-fast in the last 6 months? We culled the Twittersphere for our favourite learnings from Social Media Analytics, Business Insider’s conference on measuring success in social media that took place on November 1 in NYC. Here are some standouts. Search for your own using the hashtag #SocialMediaAnalytics.
Business Insider founder & CEO, Henry Blodget, kicked the day off with some stats on the huge market size and traffic on social media.
- @Martin_Suter: “FB: 1 trillion page views, more than next 99 sites combined”, Henry Blodget
- @RWsocial: Blodget: Prime sharing time, 9:30 AM on Wed. Most shares within first 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, a presentation on Twitter’s effect on movie ticket sales by Eric Kuhn, Social Media Agent at United Talent Agents (@Kuhn) was a crowd-pleaser:
- @PenguinDigital: Box office results? @kuhn shows that higher volume of conversation outweighs negative sentiment
- And @Kuhn himself is excited to get a visitor: My mum came to watch my keynote (and learn what in the world I do for a living)! pic.twitter.com/Lwqf7cnE
PepsiCo’s Worldwide Head of Digital, Bonin Bough (@BoninB) generates a lot of chatter with his energetic call-to-action for companies to get digitally fit and his assertion that measurement is in the “Jurassic” period.
- @JustinWise: “Social media experts should be a thing of the past. A class act organisation builds digital into everything you do.”
- @khaughwout: “Everything Google releases is in beta. I want to release a beta soda. You didn’t like it? It’s a beta!” – @boughb
Jonah Peretti’s presentation on measuring social media measurement, created especially for Social Media Analytics, generates an incredible response:
- @Amanda_cj proclaims: After yesterday’s #socialmediaanalytics event, I’m obsessed with @BuzzFeed – check out #horsemanning, the new planking [url shortened by BI]: http://bit.ly/pBKgsU
- @khaughwou: Your goal is not just to hit your numbers. Your goal should be to influence culture” jperretti ceo buzzfeed
- @MegTowner: Naming things is important. If you want a thing to be a real thing, name it. – Jonah Peretti
Meanwhile, Jason Goldberg, CEO of Fab.com, which has grown by leaps and bounds since its launch 6 months ago, piques the audience’s interest with info on his company and opinions on the importance of measurement:
- @JustinWise: Traffic breakdown for @fabdotcom: 75% email; 25% Facebook; 5% Twitter (approx.)
- @chaddyd: “If you’re running a startup: if you can’t measure it, it never happened” -#JasonGoldberg
- @eringosocial: “Inspire people everyday, ppl share what they love” – how fab.com grew through social media
Speakers from Buddy Media, Klout, News.me and others shared expert opinions, captured in quotes by the audience’s avid tweeters:
- @JustinWise: “90% of consumers trust peer recommendations. 33% trust ads.” @klout, VP Sales
- @cel923: #socialmediaanalytics – phones are for content snacking; tablets are for content consumption #jakelevine
- @nmincite: “2012 is going to be the year of Tumblr.” [email protected] #SocialMediaAnalytics
- @Hipdigitalmedia: Less than 5% of retail consumers go to brands website before buying” ccopeland CEO, groupM
- @PenguinDigital: Seneca Mudd of @IAB says the best way to use social is to observe, then determine how to change behaviour. #socialmediaanalytics
And then there was commentary on the event itself, including how stylish attendees were:
- @khaughwout: There are a surprising number of Indiana Jones style fedoras at #socialmediaanalytics. I guess social media has “nuked the fridge.”
- and @fltch captures the day’s jargon: #SocialMediaAnalytics Buzz Words – Frictionless, tribe, Gladwellian, verbing, appertising
- @JustinWise notes our audience has street cred: You can’t “fake” legitimacy in this room. You either know your ish or you don’t. I like that.
Yeah, we liked it too!
Up next: check out our Social Commerce Summit, taking place Feb. 7, 2012. We’ll dive deep into using social media and social experiences to pump up revenue, discover new market segments, and more. Join us!
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.