- International air travel doesn’t necessarily mean flying for thousands of miles.
- There are international flights that cover as little as 10 miles.
- Here are the 10 shortest such flights, according to OAG.
When we think international flying, the most common image that pops into one’s mind is that of a 12-hour marathon crammed on board a jumbo jet. And there are certainly plenty of those.
But there are also a handful of international flights that require only a few minutes of your time.
Using data provided by air travel intelligence firm OAG, we have assembled a list of the 10 shortest international flights in the world.
Here they are, the 10 shortest international flights in the world according to OAG.
10. St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands to Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands: 31 miles.
8. St. John’s, Antigua and Barbuda to Gerald’s, Montserrat: 30 miles. (Tie)
8. Macau SAR, China* to Shenzhen, China. 30 miles. (Tie)
* Since 1999, Macau has been part of the People’s Republic of China as a Special Administrative Region or SAR. However, with differing visa and customs regulations, flights between Macau and mainland China are treated as international flights.
7. St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands to Beef Island, British Virgin Islands: 25 miles.
6. Saba, The Netherlands to Sint Maarten*: 24 miles.
*Sint Maarten is a constituent country of The Kingdom of the Netherlands.
5. The Valley, Anguilla to St. Jean, St. Barthelemy: 22 miles.
4. St. Jean, St. Barthelemy to Sint Maarten: 17 miles.
3. Brazzaville, the Republic of the Congo to Kinshasa, the Democratic Republic of the Congo: 13 miles.
1. Nice, France to Monaco: 10 miles. (Tie)
1. The Valley, Anguilla to Sint Maarten: 10 miles. (Tie)
NOW WATCH: Money & Markets videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.