We recently gave you
the five reasons why solar energy is going to explode.
Today, Shell says that it can go all the way to No. 1.
In their annual New Lens Perspectives report, the oil giant lays out a scenario where solar becomes the world’s leading energy source by 2100.
Here’s the summary:
First, things go kind of haywire for more “traditional” fuel forms:
- Oil prices keep rising and remain unstable thanks to global growth and lingering geopolitical tensions
- Fracking doesn’t fully pan out
- Governments stop paying for expensive nuclear plants
This paves the way for solar to get the inside track:
- Public pressure increases for governments to boost incentives
- Household appliances start adapting to solar inputs
- Technology for storing solar energy in hydrogen cells improves
- Because solar has an easier time breaking through into nascent electricity grids, developing nations lead the way, ultimately providing 60% of all solar generation
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.