The former Russian spy who was poisoned with a nerve agent in England has been discharged from the hospital

  • The former Russian spy who was poisoned with a nerve agent in Salisbury, England, earlier this year has been let out of the hospital.
  • Sergei Skripal and his daughter were exposed to the Novichok nerve agent, sparking a diplomatic crisis.
  • Britain accused Russia of carrying out the attack, while Russia has maintained its innocence.
  • Skripal’s daughter, Yulia, was discharged a month ago.

The former Russian spy Sergei Skripal has been discharged from the hospital after being poisoned by a deadly nerve agent, the UK’s National Health Service has confirmed.

Skripal and his daughter, Yulia, collapsed in Salisbury, England, on March 4 after being exposed to Novichok, a nerve agent developed by the Soviet Union during the Cold War.

They fell into critical condition immediately after and were put in intensive care for weeks.

Both are now out of the hospital. The elder Skripal was taken out of critical condition on April 6, while his daughter recovered more quickly and was released from the hospital on April 10.

Sgt. Nick Bailey, a local police officer, was also in critical condition after responding to the Skripals and has since been released.

The NHS described all three patients as being “acutely unwell” when they were first taken to the hospital and said medical workers had been “keeping them alive until their bodies could produce more enzymes to replace those that had been poisoned.”

Britain has accused Russia of being behind the attack, naming a secretive lab in southwestern Russia as the source of the poison. The Kremlin has continually denied all responsibility.

UK counterterrorism police officials and spy agencies have reportedly identified “persons of interest” in the poisoning but have not named names. The suspects are said to be in Russia.

Though Skripal has been discharged, he will continue to need treatment, Salisbury Hospital said.

“This is an important stage in his recovery, which will now take place away from the hospital,” Lorna Wilkinson, the hospital’s director of nursing, said.

Cara Charles-Barks, the hospital’s CEO, described the past two months as “a difficult time for those caught up in this incident – the patients, our staff, and the people of Salisbury.”

Business Insider Emails & Alerts

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Follow Business Insider Australia on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.