- Serena Williams told the media on Sunday that her daughter was too “loud and obnoxious” to bring to tennis matches.
- Williams is cruising through the 2019 US Open – she’s the only Grand Slam winner left in the women’s singles bracket.
- But fans and media will not see 2-year-old Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr. courtside just yet, because she would probably be busy napping.
- Williams said she would take things step by step and gradually bring her daughter to tennis matches in the years ahead.
- The veteran American, who plays Wang Qiang in the quarterfinal on Tuesday, is just three wins away from a 24th Grand Slam title.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Serena Williams says her 2-year-old daughter is too “loud and obnoxious” to bring to her 2019 US Open tennis matches.
Williams is in hot form at Flushing Meadows in Queens, New York, having dominated Maria Sharapova in the opening round before coming from behind to dispatch of Caty McNally in the second.
Her comfortable victories over Karolina Muchova and Petra Martic in the third and fourth rounds capped a wildly successful first week at the final Grand Slam of the year. Williams is the only Grand Slam winner left in the women’s singles bracket, three wins away from a 24th title.
After beating Martic 6-3, 6-4 on Sunday, setting up a quarterfinal match against Wang Qiang at Arthur Ashe Stadium on Tuesday, Williams told the media why Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr. is not courtside just yet.
“She’s a little bit loud and obnoxious right now,” Williams said at a US Open press conference. “I’m not sure she should come to the matches.”
Williams and Alexis Ohanian’s daughter turned 2 on Sunday, and the tennis star said fans could start seeing her courtside in the years ahead.
“I’m hoping next year she’ll be at an age where she can sit,” Williams said. “Maybe I’ll start at smaller tournaments and see how she does and then go from there. Also, she’s still napping. And so it’s hard.”
Williams said that it was a great experience to be at the US Open as a mother.
“To think I’m a mum, it’s weird,” she said. “It’s still super weird.”
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.