- “The Breakfast of Champions” is teaming up with tennis icon Serena Williams to honour the most successful women’s team in international soccer history with its own limited-edition Wheaties box.
- The brand has released 10,000 of the USWNT Wheaties boxes for sale on its website, each of which costs $US23 in honour of the 23 women who comprise the record-breaking team.
- Williams, who became the face of Wheaties last month, said she is “proud to share my time on the Wheaties box with these amazing women.”
- The company will donate 100% of the selling price to Girls in the Game and the U.S. Soccer Academy, both of which work to empower girls through athletics.
- You can contribute to these causes by purchasing the latest edition of the Wheaties boxes on the company’s website.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more.
Last month, Megan Rapinoe and the US Women’s National Team (USWNT) brought home the FIFA Women’s World Cup in stunning fashion, defeating the Netherlands 2-0 en route to their fourth World Championship victory.
Now, “The Breakfast of Champions” is teaming up with tennis icon Serena Williams to honour the most successful women’s team in international soccer history with its own limited-edition Wheaties box.
Wheaties has become well-known for featuring prominent athletes on the front of its cereal boxes, with the packages becoming a representation of excellence within American culture and something of a collector’s item among sports fans.
The special-edition USWNT cereal boxes feature all 23 members of the 2019 World Cup-winning squad celebrating with their hands in the air while sporting gold medals around their necks. A red, white, and blue-striped banner lines the bottom with “World Champions” embossed above the team’s official crest, which now dons a fourth star to commemorate the team’s most recent World Cup victory.
The announcement comes just one month after the brand unveiled its “She’s a Champion” campaign, which made Williams Wheaties’ latest ambassador and just the second black female tennis player to grace the front of the Wheaties box.
— Wheaties (@wheaties) June 25, 2019
“The USWNT captivated the world this summer. They impressed us all with their incredible accomplishments on the field – and their use of sports as a platform to inspire the next generation of girls,” Williams said in a press release. “I believe a champion embodies a person in all aspects of their life and I am so proud to share my time on the Wheaties box with these amazing women who are doing just that. When we support each other and build each other up, we can do anything.”
Beyond their obvious athletic prowess, the members of the USWNT have become outspoken proponents of women’s equality in sports. In March, all 23 members of the 2019 championship team sued the US Soccer Federation in pursuit of equal pay to their male counterparts, whom they earn far less than despite regularly outperforming on the international level.
Two-time World Cup champion and former USWNT captain Becky Sauerbrunn said via press release that, because of this fight, the team’s prominent position on the front of the “iconic Wheaties box” holds added significance.
Wheaties has released 10,000 of the limited-edition USWNT Wheaties boxes for sale on its website, each of which costs $US23 in honour of the 23 women who comprise the record-breaking team. Wheaties says it will donate 100% of the selling price.
Half of the proceeds will go to Girls in the Game, an organisation dedicated to empowering young girls through fun and active leadership programs, while the remaining 50% will be donated to the US Soccer Academy, which educates and supports young soccer players across the country, according to Wheaties.
The latest edition of the Wheaties boxes is available on the company’s website, while the packages featuring Williams are available in stores nationwide.
- Read more:
- Forever 21 is selling ‘Fake News’ biker shorts for $US10 and many people see it as an attack on journalists
- We did a blind taste test of Dunkin’s new Beyond Meat breakfast sandwich. Here’s what it tastes like compared to the real thing.
- Popsicle is bringing back its famous Double Pops – and it’s all thanks to Justin Bieber
- Starbucks is releasing a Pumpkin Spice Creamer so you can make your favourite fall drinks at home
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.