HEADS UP: It’s global PMI day, and this is our scorecard.The first big number of the day was China’s official manufacturing PMI number, which unexpectedly signaled contraction again. The index came in at 49.8, which was below economists’ expectation for it to climb to 50.1. This was, however, a slight improvement from 49.2 in August.
China is the second largest economy in the world and arguably its most important source of growth.
On Friday, we learned that China’s HSBC PMI climbed to 47.9 in September from 47.6 in August. This was the eleventh straight sub-50 reading, which signals contraction in the industry. New export orders fell at the fastest rate in 42 months.
At the beginning of each month, Markit, HSBC, RBC, JP Morgan and several other major data gathering institutions publish the latest local readings of the manufacturing purchasing managers index (PMI) for countries around the world.
PMI is one of the best leading indicators of the economy.
Each reading is based on surveys of hundreds of companies. Read more about it at Markit.
These are not the most closely followed data points. However, the power of the insights is unparalleled. Jim O’Neill, Chairman of Goldman Sachs Asset Management, believes the PMI numbers are among the most reliable economic indicators in the world. BlackRock’s Russ Koesterich thinks it’s one of the most underrated indicators.
Click here to refresh this page for the latest updates to our scorecard >
- Japan: Markit/JMMA Manufacturing PMI — 48.0, up from 47.7 in August
- China: HSBC Manufacturing PMI — 47.9, up from 47.6 in August
- Australia: AiG Manufacturing PMI — 44.1, down from 45.3 in August
- Netherlands: NEVI Manufacturing PMI — 50.7, up from 49.7 in August
- China: Official PMI — 49.8, up from 49.2 in August
- Taiwan: HSBC Manufacturing PMI — 45.6, down from 46.1 in August
- Vietnam: HSBC Manufacturing PMI — 49.2, up from 47.9 in August
- Indonesia: HSBC Manufacturing PMI — 50.5, down from 51.6 in August
- India: HSBC Manufacturing PMI — 52.8, unchanged from 52.8 in August
- Russia: HSBC Manufacturing PMI — 52.4, up from 51.0 in August
- Ireland: NCB Manufacturing PMI — 51.8, up from 50.9 in August
- Poland: HSBC Manufacturing PMI — 47.0, down from 48.3 in August
- Turkey: HSBC Manufacturing PMI — 52.2, up from 50.0 in August
- Spain: Markit Manufacturing PMI — 44.5, up from 44.0 in August
- Czech Republic: Manufacturing PMI — 48.0, down from 48.7 in August
- Switzerland: Manufacturing PMI — 43.6, down from 46.7 in August
- Italy: Markit/ADACI Manufacturing PMI — 45.7, up from 43.6 in August
- France: Markit Manufacturing PMI — 42.7, down from 46.0 in August
- Germany: Markit/BME Manufacturing PMI — 47.4, up from 44.7 in August
- Greece: Markit Manufacturing PMI — 42.2, up from 42.1 in August
- Eurozone Manufacturing PMI — 46.1, up from 45.1 in August
- Monday, 10/1, 4:30 AM: U.K. Markit/CIPS Manufacturing PMI — 49.5 in August
- Monday, 10/1, 9:00 AM: U.S. Markit U.S. PMI Final — 51.5 in August
- Tuesday 10/2: 8:00 PM: South Korea: HSBC Manufacturing PMI — 47.5 in August