Photo: Gabrien Symon/Business Insider
Finding a quiet and crowd-free spot in Manhattan isn’t exactly easy.But nestled between Midtown’s brick and steel buildings are some hidden getaways.
We put together the 10 best locations to kick back and relax.
Grab your book and a cup of coffee and head out to enjoy these beautiful gems.
1. 46TH STREET & 2ND AVENUE: This quiet little park features a picturesque fountain with freestanding chairs that you can scoot up to the edge.
2. 47TH STREET AND 2ND AVENUE: The largest waterfall in the series, featuring wrought iron seating and a flower garden.
3. 47TH STREET BETWEEN 1ST AND 2ND AVENUES: Downstairs you'll find a stone bridge, pond, and benches under overarching tree branches.
4. 47TH STREET BETWEEN 1ST AND 2ND AVENUES: Across the street, fountains, gardens and benches decorate the park.
5. 48TH STREET AND 1ST AVENUE: The most elaborate waterfall garden in the series. It features secluded benches, towering trees, lush plants and lots of water features.
5. 48TH STREET AND 1ST AVENUE: Around the corner you'll find a bubbly fountain and another rushing waterfall. Beautiful trees overhang the flowing stream.
6. 51ST STREET AND 3RD AVENUE: Greenacre Park is by far the loudest waterfall in the series. Prepare to get splashed if you sit near the base of the falls.
6. 51ST STREET AND 3RD AVENUE: A coffee stand near the entrance offers tasty pastries. The terraced porch provides ample shade from the sun. A terrific spot to spend a relaxing afternoon.
7. 43RD STREET AND 2ND AVENUE: The Ford Foundation building features a historic tree-filled indoor garden. The path ends at a babbling stream and wishing pond. Open 8am-4pm, M-F.
8. 42ND STREET BETWEEN 1ST AND 2ND AVENUES: Tudor City surrounds two spectacular gardens. Lush, quiet, and meticulously maintained these gardens provide a relaxing escape.
8. 42ND STREET BETWEEN 1ST AND 2ND AVENUES: The gardens offer a plenty of comfortable benches. Gravel paths wind through trees and flower beds.
9. 42ND STREET BETWEEN 1ST AND 2ND AVENUE: Downstairs from the Tudor gardens you'll find a tiny garden at Church of the Covenant. The staircase elegantly frames plants, flowers and birdbath.
10. 40TH STREET AND 3RD AVENUE: Atop this building you'll find a sunny escape in the middle of the city.
10. 40TH STREET AND 3RD AVENUE: At the top you'll find a rooftop garden. A perfect spot for lunch. Just kidding about the stairs, there's an elevator at the rear.
10. 40TH STREET AND 3RD AVENUE: But that's not all. Behind the rooftop garden, you'll find another park at ground level.
BONUS! 48TH STREET BETWEEN 6TH AND 7TH AVENUES: This midtown waterfall features a glass tunnel you can walk through.
BONUS! 48TH STREET BETWEEN 6TH AND 7TH AVENUES: A closeup of the glass tunnel. The waterfall sound like gentle rainfall.
BONUS! 48TH STREET BETWEEN 6TH AND 7TH AVENUES: The park offers limited seating, but plenty of space to walk around and snap photos.
NOW WATCH: Executive Life videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.