One student injured after unidentified shooter opens fire at an Arkansas school on the first day of in-person learning

Police siren
  • Police are investigating a shooting in a junior high school in Pine Bluff, Arkansas.
  • A student was shot and injured in the shooting.
  • The Pine Bluff Police Department initially said the student died, but later said they were not dead and that “bad information was released.”
  • Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.

One student was injured after an unknown person opened fire at a junior high school in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, according to KATV, an ABC News affiliate.

One person had been shot, KATV’s Marine Glisovic reported. The identity of the person shot, a child, is not yet known. The child was in serious condition after the shooting.

The Pine Bluff Police Department initially issued a statement saying the student had died from their injuries, but later issued a correction saying the student was not dead and that “bad information” was released, a PIO from the department confirmed to Insider.

“The victim of the shooting at Watson Chapel Junior High School has not died,” the department said in a statement. “Bad information was released. The hospital will keep us updated directly to prevent further erroneous” information.

-Marine Glisovic KATV (@KATVMarine) March 1, 2021

The shooting occurred at Watson Chapel Junior High School on the first day back for in-person learning, KATV reported.

A male suspect has been brought into custody, according to CBS affiliate WREG. His name and age have not yet been released. It is not immediately clear what the motive behind the shooting was, but police said the shooting appears to be targeted, according to local news outlet KSFM.

All campuses within the school district were immediately put on lockdown and SWAT teams began scouring rooms and buildings, according to local reports.

“This was an isolated incident and all students students [sic] are safe at this time,” a post on the Watson Chapel School District Facebook page read. “The parent of the student hurt has been notified so if you have not been notified by the school your student is safe and secure.”

Shortly after posting that initial update, the page said parents are able to pick up their children from school.

“There will be a supervised release at the Jr High starting now,” the post read. “Parents can pull through the drive thru and request for their child to be released. If the parents are not able to pick up their child, then the students can stay on campus until release at the end of the day. All students are safe!”

This story is developing. Please check back for updates.