- Rappers Saweetie and Quavo revealed how they first connected and where they had their first date in a new GQ profile.
- Quavo sent Saweetie a direct message on Instagram and used her song “Icy Grl” as inspiration for his pick-up line.
- They also had their first date at Magic City, a famous strip club in Atlanta, Georgia, where Migos lives.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
In a new GQ profile, rappers Saweetie and Quavo revealed details of how they got together, including their first date at famed Atlanta strip club Magic City.
The couple, who have been together for just over two years, told reporter Gerrick D. Kennedy that their relationship began on Instagram.
Quavo, one-third of the Atlanta rap group Migos, initiated the conversation in 2018. “I seen her on my Explore page,” Quavo told Kennedy. “I was like, ‘Damn! Who is this?’ So I did my research and I DM her.”
At the time, Saweetie’s debut song “Icy Grl” was a hit, which served as Quavo’s pickup line.
“I told her, ‘You an icy girl, you need a glacier boy,'” he said, with the snowflake emoji. Saweetie replied with the stir-fry emoji, a nod to the Migos song “Stir Fry.”
At first, Saweetie ghosted Quavo
After months of talking on Instagram, Quavo asked Saweetie to join him at a party in LA, where she lives. She went, but when the party got out of hand, she ghosted Quavo for a bit.
“I was trying to play hard to get,” Saweetie said.
It worked: Quavo invited her to Atlanta to make up for it, and they had their first date.
Their first date was at Magic City
Quavo planned a day together, including a meal at Stoney River steakhouse, a tour of his music studio, then onto Magic City, a famed Atlanta strip club.
Since its inception in 1985 (founded by toner salesman Michael “Magic” Barney), it’s been thehang-out for millionaires, rappers, and more, Atlanta magazine reporter Mike Jordan wrote.
The couple’s night ended abruptly when a fight broke out, and Quavo jetted towards the door, forgetting to take Saweetie with him.
“She catches up and cussed me out in front of Magic City,” Quavo said.
They have been together ever since.
- Read more:
- A couple celebrating their 70-year wedding anniversary share their tips for relationship success, from dinner dates to hobbies
- How to date, have sex, and fall in love during the coronavirus pandemic
- Reddit is a haven for kinky people who’ve struggled to escape real-life discrimination and online censorship
- 7 signs you’re a bad partner even if you think you aren’t