- Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez seems to be warming to a potential trilogy bout involving Gennadiy Golovkin.
- The Mexican has a disputed draw and a decision win over Golovkin already.
- He previously downplayed the third bout but has now said “everything is possible.”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Alvarez has fought old rival Gennadiy Golovkin twice already – to a disputed split draw in 2017 and a majority decision win the following year.
A trilogy match involving the pair would be the biggest fight that broadcaster DAZN can offer on its OTT platform, as it has separate deals with both athletes.
Alvarez told TUDN that “everything is possible” when it comes to third fight with Golovkin in September, according to Boxing Scene.
It appears to be a change-of-heart as the Mexican super middleweight has spent years implying that he has moved on from the trilogy.
“That fight presents no challenge to me right now,” said Alvarez in 2019. “We fought two times, 24 rounds. I beat him, so he represents no challenge.”
The one thing that could change the fighter’s mind, he said, was a substantial amount of money.
“However, what he does represent is some good business, so if they offer me something really good, maybe the third fight can happen,” said Alvarez. “But for me, no, because he represents no challenge for me.”
Alvarez wants to be active in 2021 after competing only once in 2020 because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The 30-year-old, who has 54 wins from 57 matches, is one of boxing’s most decorated fighters and could fight four times this year.
He returns to the ring in against Avni Yildirim on February 27 in Florida, is expected to fight Billy Joe Saunders in May, and could take on Caleb Plant or Golovkin, or both, later in the year.
Alvarez wants to keep fighting until 2028
Alvarez is already the world’s No.1-ranked boxer, according to Insider.
And he has said he could be around for many years to come as he does not want to hang up his gloves until 2028.
“[I’ll fight for another] six or seven years, that’s what we think, we ‘ll see, but six or seven more years we’ll be here,” Canelo told TUDN, according to a separate Boxing Scene report.
On his intended activity in the 2021 season, Alvarez said: “The truth is that there is enough time [to get in four fights] and I am very ready to fight. I feel very happy, grateful and motivated to go to Miami, a new location for my fights.”
The bouts would be in the 76kg super middleweight division – a weight class he is already a champion in having won the WBC and WBA titles for his comfortable decision win over Callum Smith in December.
He currently has no plans to return to light heavyweight. His sole bout in that division remains a knockout win over Sergiy Kovalev for which he won the WBO championship at 79kg before vacating the belt later.
“[My trainer] Eddy [Reynoso] already told me not to fight in that division because I’m giving away too many advantages,” said Alvarez.
“Right now we are focused on winning these titles [at 168].”