LONDON — Samsung’s new would-be iPad killer is almost here.
The Galaxy Tab S3, the latest tablet from the South Korean electronics company, becomes available for pre-orders on Thursday morning.
You’ll be able to purchase the 9.7-inch device from Samsung’s website — but you can’t get your hands on it right away. The official launch date isn’t until March 31 in the UK.
It’s also not cheap: It goes for £599, though Samsung is attempting to soften the blow by throwing in a “optimised keyboard cover” supposedly worth £119 if you pre-order it.
The Galaxy Tab S3 has been left in the awkward position left by the lack of a new flagship smartphone launch from Samsung. Typically, the South Korean electronics company launches its next Samsung Galaxy S smartphone at industry conference Mobile World Congress in February each year.
But this year, after the debacle that was Samsung’s exploding Note 7 smartphone, the company decided not to launch the latest device — the Galaxy S8 — at the conference. Instead, it launched only the Galaxy Tab S3, and pushed back the launch of the S8 to March 29.
The Galaxy Tab S3 has an “enhanced S Pen” stylus, quad-stereo speakers, 32GB of internal storage (expandable with micro SD), and 4GB of RAM. You can see its full specs over on Samsung’s website — but basically, it’s a high-end tablet, with a pricetag to match, that’s designed to go head-to-head with Apple’s premium iPads.
More from Business Insider UK:
- Mike Flynn was paid to work for Russia’s top cybersecurity firm while he still had top-secret security clearance
- Marine veterans explain how the ‘say-do gap’ could be sabotaging your work relationships
- When it comes to copying Snapchat, Facebook will only get so far (FB, SNAP)
- Sandi Toksvig and Noel Fielding are the new hosts of ‘The Great British Bake Off’
- Trump when told the biggest losers from ‘Trumpcare’ will be his own voters: ‘Oh, I know’
NOW WATCH: 7 amazing technologies we’ll see by 2030
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.