- Samsung on Wednesday revealed its foldable smartphone, which it’s calling the Galaxy Fold.
- We finally saw what it looks like and what kind of features it will have.
- The Galaxy Fold is designed to work like any other smartphone but can be unfolded to become a tablet.
- It will cost a whopping $US1,980 when it launches on April 26.
Samsung on Wednesday announced more details about its foldable smartphone, called the Galaxy Fold.
At Samsung’s Unpacked event, we finally saw what the Galaxy Fold will look like, having only seen the device in the shadows when the company announced its existence in November.
We also finally saw some of the real-world applications a foldable smartphone might have, as well as the Galaxy Fold’s specs and features.
- Read more about Samsung Unpacked 2019:
- Here’s everything Samsung announced at its big Galaxy S10 event
- I tried the entire lineup of Samsung’s new Galaxy S10 phones. Here’s what they’re like in person.
- These are the new Galaxy S10 and Galaxy S10 Plus smartphones from Samsung
When the phone is folded, the exterior display is 4.6 inches.
It unfolds to a 7.3-inch display to be used as a tablet.
In tablet mode, the Galaxy Fold will be able to run three apps simultaneously, Samsung said.
It could be great for watching videos.
There are gears hidden beneath the hinge casing.
The Galaxy Fold will come in four colours: black, silver, green, and blue. The hinge colour can also be customised.
To power the Galaxy Fold, Samsung has added two batteries, one on each side of the phone, combining to be a 4,380-mAh battery.
It will need to be pretty powerful to run all the features that come with a foldable smartphone.
It’s unclear what processor the Galaxy Fold will run on; Samsung mentioned only a “7 nm” processor. But we do know it will come with a whopping 12 GB of RAM, which should help with all the new kinds of processes the Galaxy Fold will be doing, like switching between folded and unfolded mode and running three apps at the same time.
The Galaxy Fold will come with 512 GB of flash storage, which Samsung says will make for fast performance.
In total, the Galaxy Fold will have six cameras: three on the back, two inside, and one on the front.
The Galaxy Fold is set to cost $US1,980 and be released on April 26.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.